How could he escape from his nightmares?
) has moved into a Paris apartment, where the previous tenant committed suicide by leaping to her death. Now, he's starting to think his new neighbors are trying to push him to the same act. As for the audience...we don't know what to think.
This film contains examples of:
- Bandaged Face: Simone Choule, the unfortunate former tenant whose rooms Trelkovsky are taking over. And Trelkovsky, in the end.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Trevalsky
- Bizarro Episode: A lot of the suspense in this movie is drawn from incidents which make no sense whatsoever, ie. the tooth in the wall, the main character sitting in the dark dressed in drag.
- The Film of the Book: Polanski adapted the script from a short novel by French humorist Roland Topor
- Gas Lighting: What Trelkovsky believes his neighbors are trying to do.