''The Raven'' is a 1963 Horror-Comedy film directed by Creator/RogerCorman and starring Creator/VincentPrice, Creator/PeterLorre and Creator/BorisKarloff. It is the fifth film in Corman's "[[Creator/EdgarAllanPoe Poe]] Cycle." It tells the story of 16th Century sorcerer Dr. Erasmus Craven (Price) who gets visited by the title bird, who is actually another sorcerer, Dr. Bedlo (Lorre), due to Dr. Scarabus (Karloff) transforming him. After Craven restores Bedlo to himself, he, his daughter Estelle, Bedlo and Bedlo's son Rexford (Creator/JackNicholson) go after Scarabus for revenge.
As usual, you can find the basics at [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Raven_(1963_film) The Other Wiki]] and at [[http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057449/combined IMDB]].
!! "The Macabre Masterpiece of Tropes!":
* AdaptationDistillation: The movie accurate adapts the first verses of the poem, but resolutely goes in a completely different way as soon as the Raven is introduced, which puts the amount of screentime based on Edgar Allan Poe's poem a whooping seven minutes — opening credits included. The rest of the film is not only unrelated to the novel, but generally doesn't have much in common with Poe's work in general.
* AltumVidetur: While casting his spells, Bedlo says ''"[[Theatre/JuliusCaesar Veni vidi vici]]"'', ''"[[NeverSpeakIllOfTheDead De mortuis nil nisi bonum]]"'', ''"Cave canem"'' (beware of the dog), ''"Si vis pacem parabellum"'' ("If you want peace, prepare for war") and ''"Ceterum censio Carthaginem esse delendam"'' ("Furthermore, I believe Carthage should be destroyed.")
* AnythingButThat: Dr Bedlo convinces Scarabus to turn him back into a bird rather than have to face torture.
* BeneathTheMask: A recurring theme in the film.
** Dr. Erasmus Craven first comes across as an innocent, yet inept wizard, [[spoiler:only to reveal that he is the most powerful sorcerer in the film.]]
** Dr. Bedlo acts as a drunken fool of a wizard with a grudge against Dr. Scarabus for beating him in an "unfair" duel, [[spoiler:only to reveal that he was working for Dr. Scarabus the whole time under the promise that he teaches him secret magic.]]
** Dr. Scarabus presents himself as a kind and humble host that does not provoke easily [[spoiler:only to have masterminded the entire night's events, has taken Craven's wife willingly for himself and would even [[WouldHurtAChild torture his daughter]] so that he would give up the secrets of his family's magic.]]
** Lenore is believed to be dead [[spoiler:only to not only be alive, but she is willingly with Scarabus for his wealth and power. She tries to win Craven back when the castle burns, but he won't have it.]]
* BigFancyCastle: Dr. Scarabus has one, which collapses at the end as a result of Craven deflecting fireballs at the walls.
* TheDitz: Rexford.
* DrGenericius: Dr. Erasm''us'' Craven and Dr. Scarabus, obviously. Dr. Bedlo's name [[CaptainObvious does not end in -us]], but is still a Latin-sounding name, as well.
* FakingTheDead: Craven has been mourning his late wife Lenore, who, it turns out, is alive and well, having left him for Scarabus.
* ImplacableMan: Scarabus ''survives'' his castle crumbling on top of him, although the magical effort needed to protect himself strains him so much that he loses control of his powers in the ordeal.
* MorallyAmbiguousDoctorate: All the wizards in the film are called 'Doctor', which may imply graduation from some sort of MagicSchool — it's never explained.
* SadisticChoice: Scarabus forces Craven to choose between Estelle getting tortured and giving up the secrets of his "hand magic".
* TalkingAnimal: The title bird (though only because it's really Bedlo [[InvoluntaryShapeshifting turned into a bird by Scarabus]]).
* TheArchmage: Dr. Scarabus, the frighteningly powerful (and extremely wealthy) Grandmaster of the Brotherhood of Sorcerers. Complete with BigFancyCastle and oddly pope-like clothing.
* WizardDuel: Between Craven and Scarabus. Hilariously, their magic being the only factor at play, they're not even doing anything during the duel other than wave their hands, and go through the whole thing ''comfortably sitting in armchairs''.
--> ''[[TheStinger "Quote the Raven, nevermore."]]''