is an action film from the year 1980.
Retired martial arts champion Scott James (Chuck Norris
) has refused to fight since a bout went bad and injured his opponent. Now, however, ninja terrorists keep appearing, causing James to question whether someone from his past could be training them at a mysterious compound called The Octagon.
This film has the examples of:
- Anyone Can Die: This troper was surprised that they killed Justine AND A.J..
- Chekhov's Gunman: Aura is prominently placed in all the training scenes. Wonder who's going to be important to the plot later?
- Conservation of Ninjutsu: The terrorist ninjas are an unstoppable, deadly force, except when confronted by James. The film tries to justify it by saying that he is The Only One since he had the same training as the ninjas' master.
- Damsel in Distress: Averted; Aura actually ends up being helpful, and doesn't get kidnapped once.
- The Dragon: During the climactic fight scene in the Octagon, James has to fight Seikura's enforcer before he can finally fight Seikura himself.
- I Have No Son: James and Seikura's dad apparently has a really low tolerance for jackassery.
- Inner Monologue: Played straight, and with so much reverb it's sometimes unintelligible.
- Kensington Gore: The opening assassination in Paris has loads of it.
- The Only One: See Conservation of Ninjutsu above.
- Police Are Useless: Interesting from a post-9/11 perspective, the reasons given for the characters' vigilantism is that most countries are unwilling to extradite, and the police are powerless to do anything against the international crime.
- Terrorists Without a Cause:
- Apparently Seikura just really likes being a bastard.
- While all the possible motivations are raised — religion, nationalism, money — none specifically is given for any the terrorists featured in the film.
- Aura wanted something to feel passionate about, and apparently decided terrorism was the route for her. She changes her mind, though.
- Vigilante Man: McCarn, an "anti-terrorist", who garrotes and shoots terrorists and then disposes of the bodies like it's no big, and later James.