The Girl Next Door
is a 2004 American teen film starring Elisha Cuthbert
, Emile Hirsch, and Timothy Olyphant
, directed by Luke Greenfield, about an honor student who falls in love for the first time with his new beautiful next door neighbor Danielle, but finds the situation becoming complicated after he learns that she is a former porn star. Not to be confused with the 2007 film of the same name based on Jack Ketchum
's novel The Girl Next Door
This film contains examples of:
- Big Damn Kiss: When Matthew and Danielle share their first kiss. Matthew just takes charge and kisses Danielle; everything slows downs and they got lost in the moment.
- The Cameo: WWE wrestler Luther Reigns as a man at the porn convention.
- Chekhov's Gun:
- An abysmal sex education video from (apparently) the 1950s makes the heroes wonder why it's never been updated. What saves the day for them in the end? Eli directing a modern, topical, and engrossing sex education video.
- The drawing Danielle makes Matthew when they first meet. He eventually uses it to convince her how he really sees her.
- Distracted by the Sexy: When Matthew sees Danielle for the first time, he walks into a trash can and knocks it over.
- Double Standard: Rape, Female on Male: Played with. Danielle forces Matthew to strip naked and then steals his underwear, forcing him to run after the car fully nude. On the one hand she only did it because he watched her undress (and she didn't tell his parents) but on the other, would a man forcing a teenage girl to do this be Played for Laughs?
- Everyone Loves Blondes: The sexy outlandish adult film actress Danielle has curly blond hair.
- Earn Your Happy Ending
- Gilligan Cut: Matthew telling Daniel he is not taking his clothes off. It cuts to him standing in his underwear.
- Girl Next Door: Danielle subverts the trope, being a porn actress played by Elisha Cuthbert.
- Girl-on-Girl Is Hot: When Matthew imagines Danielle making out with his mother, and later with her two friends in the limousine.
- Happily Ever After: The Sealed with a Kiss ending for Matthew and Danielle makes this such.
- Hollywood Nerd: Matthew and his friends.
- Hooker with a Heart of Gold: Well, porn star with a heart of gold.
- Jerk Ass: Danielle's ex, Kelly.
- Not What It Looks Like: The tape that Matthew, Danielle and the others filmed on prom night. It was a sex-ed video, not porn.
- Ms. Fanservice
- Nerds Are Virgins: While this isn't touched on in the film, the director's commentary mentions that Matthew is losing his virginity during his and Danielle's first time.
- Official Couple: Matthew and Danielle.
- Sealed with a Kiss: Matthew and Danielle end the movie with a kiss.
- Sexy Soaked Shirt: Invoked by Danielle who turns up on Klitzy's doorstep with a damp blouse (from being in the pool). "I'm all wet, can I come in?"
- Shameful Strip: Danielle forces Matthew to strip in front of her. And then she steals his boxers and drives away with them (briefly).
- Smug Snake: Kelly.
- Spiky Hair: Kelly. Notably when he's pretending to be a less-shady character in front of Matthew's parents, his hair is slicked down.
- Their First Time: Matthew and Danielle have sex for the first time in a limo. In the director's commentary, Luke Greenfield describes it as follows: "This scene. My first love scene I have ever shot. Was a scene of loss of innocence. Matthew's losing his virginity and Danielle's making love for the very first time."
- Throwing Out The Script: Matthew appears to do this, but it's a subversion. While it appears this way to the audience (who think he's incredibly sweet), he actually has nothing written down. He'd been too busy slacking off (and, in fairness, falling in love and learning life lessons) to write the speech.
- What the Hell, Hero?: "Is this what you think of me?"
- Xmeets Y: Superbad meets Risky Business