YMMV: The Girl Next Door
- Nightmare Fuel: The scene where Kelly beats up Matthew comes right out of nowhere. For a comedy film, this is quite intense.
2007 film and the book:
- Complete Monster: Aunt Ruth Chandler takes child abuse to horrifying new levels. Ruth believes that all women are whores, and as such should be treated like animals. When her nieces Susan and Meg move in with her after the deaths of their parents, she subjects Meg to an escalating series of atrocities that include tying her to a post and ordering her sons and some of the neighborhood children to rape her, mutilating her with a blowtorch, and forcibly removing her clitoris. She also threatens to kill them if one of the other children tries to report any of this to the police.
- Fan Disservice : When Meg's clothes come off, it's humiliating and cringe-worthy.
- Fridge Brilliance : A lot of the discomfort in reading the novel comes from Davey's inertia. It's very frustrating when no one moves to save Meg, instead standing around and watching. After a while, you start to realize that's exactly what you're doing as a reader. A gentle sort of Take That, Audience!.
- Nightmare Fuel: A whole lot of the brutality and violence.
- Squick : The scene where one of the boys forces Meg to eat dog shit.