[[caption-width-right:300:How do you get your grown kid to move the hell out?]]
''Tanguy'' is a French comedy directed by Etienne Chatilliez and released in 2000. The title character is a 28-year-old man who lives with his parents and has no desire whatsoever to spread his wings and move out. The only child of a Parisian [[BourgeoisBohemian bobo]] family, he's smart but selfish, and women, especially Asian ones, somehow find him irresistible.
His parents, whose patience is running out, decide to get him to leave by making his life hell. He eventually gets the message and moves out... to China, where live-at-home grown children are considered perfectly normal.
The film appeared to have hit a chord with the public, as the name "Tanguy" has basically become a generic word for a BasementDweller in French-speaking countries, where it's not uncommon to hear people complain that their son is a Tanguy.
As it is, slang moves on and it is starting to fade out.
!!Contains examples of:
* BasementDweller: Actually, Tanguy has a fair amount of his parents' high-end apartment reserved for his own uses.
* BeCarefulWhatYouWishFor: Soon after he's born, Tanguy's mother tells him "If you want, you can stay with us forever."
* BourgeoisBohemian: Tanguy's parents.
* TheCameo: TV producer Philippe Gildas and singer Eddie Mitchell briefly show up [[AsHimself as themselves]].
* TheCasanova: Tanguy, despite his nerdy looks, is quite the womaniser and can sweet-talk his way into any girl's pants.
* CloudCuckoolander: Tanguy remains blissfully unaware of how much of a pain he is.
* ComputerVirus: His father asks someone at his company's systems department to send a virus into Tanguy's computer. Said virus manifests as the words "I Love You!" and a stylized human skull appearing on the computer screen, and then all the font suddenly falling down as if pulled by gravity.
* DeadpanSnarker: Tanguy's grandmother.
* FlyawayShot: The final shot over the Forbidden City.
* GeekPhysiques: Tanguy, despite a comparatively healthy lifestyle (for a geek) nonetheless has a telltale skinny frame and pale skin.
* GrandmaWhatMassiveHotnessYouHave: One of his [[LikesOlderWomen college students]] has a one-night stand with Tanguy's mother, and later boasts about it to his classmates. "I can tell you she's pretty good for her age!"
* HackedByAPirate: Happens like that when the title character's father sends a virus to his PC. The words "I Love You" (name of a notorious virus back then) flash on the computer screen along with a skull.
* LaserGuidedKarma: [[spoiler:The ending hints at the fact that Tanguy's own son will be just as reluctant to leave his parents as Tanguy himself.]]
* MeddlingParents: Subverted. The parents ''wish'' they could not meddle in their son's life, but his reluctance to move out leaves them no choice.
* MightyWhiteyAndMellowYellow: Tanguy speaks fluent Chinese and Japanese, and uses his language skills to seduce Asian women.
* MultigenerationalHousehold: Tanguy's in-laws at the end of the movie have three generations going on four under one roof.
* NerdsAreSexy: See above.
* TheSeventies: Tanguy was born in the era of bell-bottom pants and ugly designer furniture, as the interior decoration of his young parents' apartment amply testifies.