->''"In seven days, God created the world. And in seven seconds, I shattered mine."''
The 2008 film starring Creator/WillSmith, Creator/RosarioDawson, Creator/BarryPepper, and Creator/WoodyHarrelson, to name a few stars.
The film follows the enigmatic Ben Thomas, who spends his time donating whatever organs he can to seven unfortunate people to atone for something that is revealed over the course of the film. During this time, he meets Emily Posa, an IllGirl who has both [[SoapOperaDisease a rare heart condition]] and [[ABNegative a rare blood type]]. As he soon falls in love with Emily and helps her out, he is soon left with a painful decision that may or may not be easy to figure out, especially when his past comes back to haunt him and the illness worsens for Emily.
!!This movie shows examples of:
* BillyNeedsAnOrgan: Emily, who is struggling to get one due to her rare blood type.
* BlackBestFriend: Inverted. Although [[spoiler: Tim]] is clearly this to Dan, [[spoiler: Tim]] is the lead character.
* ChekhovsGun: At least two: the list of names and [[spoiler: Tim's pet jellyfish.]]
* ElderAbuse: [[spoiler:Tim]] decides against donating one of his organs to a retirement home director after finding out the home mistreats their patients.
* FamilyUnfriendlyDeath: Death by [[spoiler: jellyfish]]? Not only painful, but just flat out ''brutal'' to watch.
* ForegoneConclusion: Once you piece together how [[spoiler: Tim]] will [[StartsWithASuicide kill himself]], it's time to play the waiting game!
* GambitRoulette: [[spoiler: In order to pull off what Tim did, one would have to put a lot of faith in God to pull off several miracles, such as disabling a certain neurotoxin so his organs would be in working order.]]
* HappilyMarried: Dan and his wife clearly are.
* HeroicSuicide: [[spoiler: Tim]] chooses option B in the SadisticChoice (see below).
* HowWeGotHere: The film opens with a scene towards the end, [[spoiler:where the hero calls in to report his own death]]. Then we cut back to the beginning of the story to unravel the meaning of this scene.
* LiteraryAllusionTitle: The film's title is taken from ''Theatre/TheMerchantOfVenice''.
* TheLostLenore: [[spoiler: Tim's]] fianceé.
* ManlyTears: Dan breaks down when [[spoiler: Tim]] calls him and says, "It's time."
* NeverGotToSayGoodbye: [[spoiler: Tim]] never gets to say goodbye to Emily nor his own brother in person, although he leaves them letters.
* NeverTrustATrailer: The trailer left much to be explained about the movie, which was both its charm and its downfall. Some movie fans thought it was nice that it didn't ruin all the plot details; others ended up utterly confused as to what the movie was about. The film itself was like that too, until the very end.
** To a lot of people the trailer indicated that [[spoiler:Tim]] was a government agent who was recruiting special people for some reason.
* OscarBait: The movie was clearly made with the purpose of winning Smith the Best Actor Oscar which he didn't get for ''Film/ThePursuitOfHappyness''. It didn't even get ''nominated''.
* RealMenWearPink: Played with: "Um... it's pink." "It's ''salmon''."
* TheReveal: [[spoiler:Ben is not really Ben. Ben is really Tim Thomas, having stolen his brother Ben's IRS credentials in order to use the privileges and power they carry to assist in his mission of atonement.]]
* SadisticChoice: [[spoiler: Tim]] had one hell of a choice to make: spend a month with the woman you love or [[spoiler:kill yourself to give her your heart so she can live out her life to the fullest.]] Life sucks, dunnit?
* SecretTestOfCharacter: [[spoiler: Tim]]'s abusive phone call to Ezra, who passes the test by not growing a spine. Which is another great lesson. There is a way to be 'good' and have a spine. Accepting abuse doesn't make you good (something that Film Brain interpreted when he reviewed this film), and people like Ezra who work in customer service are told to never lash out at customers, no matter what. Ezra was just doing his job the way he had been trained, and thus, he passes the test.
* SexyDiscretionShot: Probably one of the most beautiful, heartfelt love scenes since ''Film/MeetJoeBlack''.
* SurvivorGuilt: [[spoiler: Tim]] is the only survivor of the [[spoiler: car crash]]. He attempts to ease his guilt by giving away practically every internal organ he can spare. [[spoiler: And one he can't.]]
** ThereAreNoTherapists: He also never seems to seek out professional help to get over this unbearable, life-changing trauma.
* VegetarianCarnivore: Emily claims her Great Dane is one of these which is a case of ArtisticLicenseAnimalCare.