Posse is a 1993 American Western film directed by and starring Mario Van Peebles. Featuring a large ensemble cast of mostly African-American actors, the film is about a posse of black soldiers and one ostracized white soldier, who are all betrayed by a corrupt colonel. The story starts with the group escaping with a cache of gold, and continues with their leader Jesse Lee (Van Peebles) taking revenge on the men who killed his preacher father.
Posse contains examples of:
- Colonel Badass: Colonel Graham is an evil version of this.
- Depleted Phlebotinum Shells: Jesse Lee has some of the stolen gold recast into golden bullets to use on his father's killers. Father Time explains that, according to New Orleans voodoo ladies, gold is the only way to kill a demon. In Jesse's case, the demons are symbolic rather than actual.
- Dressing as the Enemy: Jesse poses as a member of The Klan to rescue Papa Joe and Obobo.
- Eyepatch of Power: Colonel Graham
- Moe Greene Special: Colonel Graham loses an eye when his ambush of the 10th goes wrong.
- Professional Gambler: Father Time
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: Jesse Lee's motivation.
- Showdown at High Noon: Posse has a scene where the two combatants advance slowly, attacking with Throw Away Guns.
- Throw Away Guns
- Token White: Little J
- Trading Bars for Stripes: Jesse Lee was sentenced by a judge to lifetime enlistment in the Army.
- William Telling: When Jesse is ordered to execute a prisoner, he instead demonstrates his marksmanship by shooting the prisoner's cigar out of his mouth.