Film: Luxury Car
Luxury Car (江城夏日) is the third film directed by Wang Chao. A Sino-French coproduction, it was released in 2006.Li Qiming, an aging country schoolteacher, returns for the first time in 40 years to the sprawling metropolis of Wuhan in central China. He's looking for his estranged son, whom his cancer-stricken wife wants to see again before dying. His daughter, Yanhong, also lives in Wuhan, but although she had led him to think she had found a good job in the city, in fact she works as a "hostess" in a karaoke bar, and her employer, a former convict turned businessman, has made her his mistress.With the help of a kindly policeman about to retire, Li Qiming follows one trail after another, all the while reconnecting with his long-neglected daughter.
This film provides examples of:
- Completely Different Title: The original title literally translates as "River City Summer Days".
- Country Mouse: Li Qiming is very much a Fish out of Water in the big city. He still addresses people as "Comrade", a habit that fell out of favor decades ago, and is shocked by the crass materialism of urban life.
- Karaoke Box: The place where Yanhong works provides these to customers, along with hostesses who can be rented out for the night.
- Need a Hand, or a Handjob?: When Li Qiming shows up at the karaoke bar asking for Yanhong, the staff assume he's a customer, and another girl volunteers to go with him instead.
- Posthumous Character: Li Qiming's son.
- Screaming Birth
- Title Drop: "It's a luxury car..."
- Vomit Discretion Shot: The first time Yanhong has a bout of Morning Sickness. The second time around, it's a Vomit Indiscretion Shot, as well as when her inebriated father regurgitates his dinner.