[[caption-width-right:310:Not the film of the musical. [[Film/LesMiserables2012 That's later.]]]]
''Les Misérables'' is a 1998 film based on [[Literature/LesMiserables the novel by Victor Hugo]]. Directed by Bille August, it stars Creator/LiamNeeson as Jean Valjean, Creator/GeoffreyRush as Inspector Javert, Creator/UmaThurman as Fantine, and Creator/ClaireDanes as Cosette. Music/BasilPoledouris composed the score.
!!This film provides examples of:
* AdaptationNameChange: Fauchelevent is renamed Lafitte. The prisoners at the trial also get this.
** The town Valjean becomes mayor of is called Vigau instead of Montreuil.
* AdaptationalVillainy: Javert, so much. Also Valjean punches out the Bishop during the robbery.
* AbusiveParents: Averted. The scene where Valjean slaps Cosette is clearly the only time heís done so, to the shock and dismay of the two. Cosette calls him out on it.
* CompositeCharacter: Marius takes on Enjolras' place as the leader of the Friends of the ABC (although there is still a character named Enjolras in the film).
* CompressedAdaptation: The emphasis is on Jean Valjean and Javert, with other plot threads reduced or cut entirely. Even the romance of Marius and Cosette is reduced (and is not a love triangle with Eponine, who like all the Thénardiers is barely in it).
* FreudianExcuse: Played with. Javert coolly explains to Valjean that his father was a thief and his mother a prostitute, which he notes is a parentage he is ashamed of, but will not hide. His dedication to the law is clearly a polarized response to his parents, but he clearly has a particular hatred for prostitutes. This is demonstrated when he allows Fantine to be brutalized, and kicks the dog.
* InspectorJavert: Javert, obviously. Heís also a KnightTemplar to his superior.
* KickTheDog: Javert is a fan of this trope, and in an especially cruel way, [[spoiler:terrorizes Fantine on her death bed]].
* LargeHam: Javert, thanks to Geoffrey Rush.
-->'''I KNEW IT!!!'''
* TheLostLenore: Fantine becomes this to Valjean.
* TheMole: One of the Friends of the ABC is an infiltrator, feeding Javert info. [[spoiler:Javert himself also tries to pull this off, but blows his cover when he threatens Cosette in an attempt to finally apprehend Valjean.]]
* TheQueensLatin: Despite being set in France, English accents are to go, with those actors who hail from beyond the British Isles assuming suitable accents for the occasion.
* RaceLift: Enjolras is black.
* ShownTheirWork: Valjean's stuttering housekeeper and Javert's snuff habit are retained, details often cut.
* SparedByTheAdaptation: [[spoiler: Jean Valjean]] is still alive at the end of the movie, though this could just be due to the fact that the film ends long before the book did.
* ToBeLawfulOrGood: Javert. [[spoiler:This question leads to his demise, as he canít reconcile the two to each other]].