Hey, Hey, It's Esther Blueburger
is an independent 2008 Australian teenage comedy film, written and directed by debut filmmaker Cathy Randall, starring newcomer Danielle Catanzariti, Toni Collette
, Keisha Castle-Hughes and Jonny Pasvolsky. It was shot in Adelaide, South Australia
, and Sydney
, New South Wales.
Thank you, Other Wiki
This film provides examples of:
- Alpha Bitch: Pretty much everyone at Esther's school.
- Blatant Lies / Refuge in Audacity: Sunnie and Esther's "experiment" relies on both
- Call Back: Esther's "introduction" poem
- Cloud Cuckoolander: Esther and her brother Jacob are this trope in spades
- Disappeared Dad: Sunnie's is out of the picture, having apparently gone back to New Zealand
- Embarrassing Nickname: "Cheeseburger" for Esther
- Free the Frogs: Poor little Normal.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: Jacob gets out of stabbing his friend with a compass by claiming the other kid, and indeed his entire school, is rabidly anti-Semetic. His parents respond by pulling him out of school and putting him in a Jewish school. This turns out to have made him uber-Jewish, and his parents are visibly annoyed when he makes them wait to start eating to say a berakhah, and grumbling that his roast beef isn't kosher
- Jerk Ass: most of the students at Esther's private school. Missy and the prefect get special attention.
- Jewish and Nerdy: Esther and her brother are more Jewish and weird
- Oh, Crap: Esther, when she realizes that Jacob isn't joking about stabbing his friend in the head with a compass
- Only Known by Their Nickname: The Slug, the overweight girl with the umbrella (which she uses to fend off being splashed by juice at lunch time) whom Esther essentially mugs for her raincoat
- Ridiculously Cute Critter: Normal the duck chick. Doesn't save him from being killed for dissection though
- What the Hell, Hero?: Sunnie to Esther when she basically mugs the Slug for her raincoat
- Where The Hell Is Springfield?: Averted; it's explicitly stated that Esther's brother goes to Massada College, which is an actual school in Adelaide. The observant will also spot an Adelaide Metro train in the background of one scene.