In this family-friendly fantasy film from Full Moon Features subsidiary Moonbeam Entertainment, Young John McGowan travels to Scotland to live at his grandfather's castle after he loses both his parents in a traffic accident. At the magical wishing tree on his grandfather's estate, he manages to find a friend, an infant dragon whom he nicknames "Yowler". They grow up together, and one day documentary film maker Bob Armstrong, his daughter Beth and his pilot Brownie McGee stumble upon Yowler.Eager for fame and money, Bob convinces John to "rent" Yowler to local corrupt businessman, Lester McIntyre. John, who is coerced in part by the offer to have the mounting taxes on the castle paid off, allows Lester to take Yowler in. He does so also partly because of his growing interest in Beth. Yowler is miserable and harassed in the new theme park built for him, and when it becomes clear that McIntyre has duped them in order to exploit the dragon, John and his new friends take action.
- Bittersweet Ending: John tells Yowler to fly away as fast and as far as he can, he does. Thankfully, he comes back.
- A Boy and His X: In this case, boy and his dragon.
- Breath Weapon: Yowler, need I say more?
- Chekhov's Skill: Yolwer, (having no one to teach him) has been unable to fly all his life. After the climax he's pretty much self taught.
- Con Man: Bob and Lester McIntyre form a duo, nearly scamming John and his family out of their home.
- Giant Flyer: Yowler himself, once he learns how to fly.
- Here There Were Dragons: Yowler is the only dragon ever seen during the film. It's hinted that dragons have since gone extinct.
- Heroic Resolve: Yowler, see Giant Flyer.
- Horrible Judge of Character: John, sure John trust the two guys who are painfully obviously only interested in making a buck.
- Last of His Kind: Yowler, possibly.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: Yowler himself, for getting spotted.
- Our Dragons Are Different: Yowler's basically a big puppy that follows people he likes everywhere.
- Scenery Porn
- Starring Special Effects: Yowler.