Film / Carrington
written and directed by Christopher Hampton, about the life of historically overlooked English painter Dora Carrington (played by Emma Thompson
) and her relationship with the writer Lytton Strachey (played by Jonathan Pryce
Provides examples of:
- But Not Too Gay: The film shies away pretty awkwardly from definitively saying whether or not Lytton slept with Partridge.
- Driven to Suicide: Carrington, after Lytton's death.
- Embarrassing First Name: Carrington prefers to go by her last name since she thinks "Dora" is pretty ghastly.
- Meet Cute: When they first meet, Lytton mistakes Carrington for a teenage boy.
- Nature Abhors a Virgin: Carrington's older friends pressure her to give it up to her boyfriend because they're bitter that they couldn't get any at that age.
- Incompatible Orientation: Lytton and Carrington's relationship in a nutshell.