A 1952 black-and-white RKO film based on George Bernard Shaw's [[Theatre/AndroclesAndTheLion play with the same name]] produced by Gabriel Pascal and directed by Chester Erskine.
The film follows Androcles, a Christian tailor gone fugitive from his Roman persecutors. While hiding in the forest he comes upon a wild lion who, instead of attacking the weak and starving slave, approaches him with a wounded paw, which he holds out to Androcles as if to beg his assistance. Androcles sees that the source of the lion's agony is a large thorn embedded in the paw; the slave courageously pulls it out. The lion is greatly relieved but Androcles is arrested and joins a procession of Christian prisoners on their way to the Colosseum in Rome. Eventually he is placed in the arena and the lion is released upon him. Is it too much to hope that one of the lions may have a paw that has healed recently and might remember who helped heal it?
The movie stars Creator/AlanYoung as Androcles, Elsa Lanchester as Androcles' wife Megara, Creator/JeanSimmons as Lavinia, Creator/VictorMature as [[EveryoneCallsHimBarkeep Captian]] and Maurice Evans as UsefulNotes/JuliusCaesar.
The page is under construction, in fact wouldn't mind [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ER860abBeS0 getting a little help]] here.
!!The film contains examples of:
* AdaptationExpansion: Movie's 1 hour, 36 minutes and six seconds.
* AndroclesLion: Based on the TropeNamer.
* AndStarring: ''AND ALAN YOUNG AS "ANDROCLES"''
* FriendToAllLivingThings: Androcles
* FloatingHeadSyndrome: [[http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d2/Androcles_lion.jpg The poster]]
* HenpeckedHusband: Again, Androcles
* WhatCouldHaveBeen: HarpoMarx was set to play Androcles
* WhatHappenedToTheMouse: The fate of [[spoiler:Magera]] is never seen after [[spoiler: she ran off, leaving her husband to be captured by the Roman soldiers while he's attending to the lion]].