Fanfic Recs: The Last of Us
Proof that the remaining 10% is worth braving a post-apocalyptic world for here. These are recommendations made by Tropers for The Last of Us fanfics, all of which have to be signed to stay on the page. Feel free to add a fanfic of your own to the list, but remember to use the template found here. Make sure to warn when a fanfic may head into non-canon territory. Some people just don't like it, and as we all know, Shipping is Serious Business. People sometimes argue over these types of things. You can also add to the current recommendations if you want. Refrain from posting Conversation in the Main Page though; that goes in the discussion page.
open/close all folders
Authors and Sites
Stories focused on the family and the friendly relationships of the cast. Plot-focused stories or light day-in-the-life stories. Pretty much anything that isn't focused on romance. The Last of Them by Red Priest, a trope write-up can be found here.
- Recommended by Tropers/thelastofus
- Synopsis: Following on from the game, Joel and Ellie return to Tommy's to find nothing for them there. They're forced out into the wild once again. Expands on the game's themes of love and family and morality whilst adding some new ones, like religion, the fear of loneliness.
- Comments: A well-written, in-progress piece that takes places directly after the game. It switches between Joel and Ellie's points of view and stays very true to the characters of Joel and Ellie. Characterisation of Tommy changes a little, but for the most part the writer manages to explain it by rendering him a changed person after the death of his wife, Maria, in the first chapter.: Later on in the story, the writer begins to weave together Joel and Ellie's backstories using flashbacks. The first half of each chapter is a scene from seven/eight years before the game and introduces some characters. The author stated that it'll later explain how certain things came to be, such as Joel falling out with Tommy, meeting Tess and Marlene for the first time:.
- Recommended by Tropers/thelastofus
- Synopsis: Set a few months after the events of The Last of Us, Joel and Ellie try to live a new life together in Tommy's settlement. And what at first seems like the prime opportunity at a new start, quickly transitions into yet another brutal journey. One that could push Ellie and Joel beyond limits, force them to make harsh choices, and challenge the true strength of their relationship.
- Comments: Well-written and in-progress (like the other one). For the most part it stays true to the characters, though there's a little more idealising between Joel and Ellie as characters and their connection with one another. In the later chapters it becomes sad, mostly through the writer's choice to portray Ellie as very naive, which might occur to you from reading this as out of character, but they manage to pull off.
- Recommended by Please Please Stand By
- Synopsis: We heard a lot about how Bill owed Joel (and Tess) some favors, and got some hints that he was too frightened to turn Joel down when he cashed it in. What might that favor have been?
- Comments: Tess & Joel seem in character, though they do some pretty nasty things to other people. This really rounds out Bill's character and his relationship to both Tess & Joel and Frank.
Stories where one fundamental aspect of the series is completely overhauled from its point of origin. none yet
Stories focused on the romantic relationships between the cast. none yet
Fanfiction that combines elements, characters, etc. from two or more different franchises. none yet
Stories focused on making the series darker, and/or exploring the darker aspects of the series. none yet