Fanfic Recs: Gunslinger Girl
Proof that the remaining 10% is worth dying for here: These are recommendations made by Tropers for Gunslinger Girl Fan Fics, all of which have been signed. After a few samples, you will be able to judge whether you might be interested in the 'fic, based on who recommended it. No-name recommendations will be zapped. Nobody would back up the rec. Discussion of the recommendation is welcome on the discussion page. As such discussion is important, do remember to add the discussion page to the watchlist, if need be. Do warn when a fanfic may head into non-canon territory. Some people just don't like it, and as we all know, Shipping is Serious Business.
Authors and WebsitesCyborg Central
- Recommended by kapparomeo.
- Major (only?) English-speaking fan forum for Gunslinger Girl. It was once a source for scanlations of the Gunslinger Girl manga, but their translator has been inactive for over a year and consequently releases are severely out of date. Despite that, though, the community remains active, especially so in its "fanworks" subforum which includes a group of fanfic authors who regularly put out new content. They are a pretty close-knit (self-referential?) group, frequently including roles for each others' fancharacters in their own stories. They are nonetheless an enthusiastic group with genuine quality to their work, and include a few dedicated members who will offer incredibly detailed reviews of stories far beyond mere "that's great" comments.
- Recommended by vehement
- Seeing as it's the chief resource where most fanfics are actually posted, it would be remiss of us not to mention it!
- Recommended by kapparomeo.
- The "Marisa Chronicles" series of Professor Voodoo is extensive and ongoing, but is not hastily dashed-off verbiage by any means, being literate throughout. The stories are written from the perspective of an O.C. fratello (the titular cyborg and her handler Elio), and also frequently reference characters created by other Gunslinger Girl fanfic writers, but otherwise adhere closely to canon. Story themes vary widely from straight action to espionage and even humorous 'slice-of-life' escapades in the SWA's compound, but there is a strong focus on detailed characterisation whatever the topic. It also does not avoid the tragedy of the cyborgs' situation (specifically in Marisa's origin story). The stories make full use of the Italian setting with known geography being significant in several places, and the author also takes the novel approach of featuring underwater diving operations and describes them in substantial technical detail.
- Recommended by phoku
- Crossover: Gunslinger Girl and Maria-sama ga Miteru
- Synopsis: Triela goes on an undercover mission in the Lillian Highschool.
- Comments: Doomed bad-ass assassin cyborg girl goes undercover in a Catholic all-girls' Elaborate University Highschool. That's drama-goldmine right there. The highlight of the story is the excellent characterisation of Triela and her performance as fish-out-of-the-water.
- Seconded by athenaswings
- Recommended by MrTerrorist
- Synopsis: The handlers have had enough of the SWA and decide to give the girls the normal life they deserve away from the violence. However things do not go according to plan and the girls must fight for the right to survive. Scattered, the girls seek to drag the shadow world that created them into the light as the world is driven to chaos. The groups responsible for their creation finally begin their plans for a new world paradigm with the activation of the second generation of cyborgs.
- Comments: In this fanfic, the girls discovered the cyborg program was actually the work of an evil conglomerate who plans to dispose them once their work is done. The girls escape from the SWA from conglomerate forces and bring them down worldwide. For those who like action fanfics.