The Sailor Rainbow series is (currently) a hexalogy of Sailor Moon
(the first 4) and Sailor Moon
/Harry Potter crossover
(5th and on) fanfics written by "Heroine Of The Valley".
The series is centered around the Original Character
Lydia MacGreggor, the titular Sailor Rainbow, and her experiences as she lives the events of the dubbed version of the show and books. The stories in the series (in order chronologically) are:
The series is notable for featuring one of the few well-developed Sailor Rainbows
in the fandom. On the other hand, it is also known for plagerizing the dialogue from the show and movies it is based on, its lack of research on other cultures, and Lydia's Mary Sueish
tendencies. Though, to the author's credit, the stories do improve as the series goes on.
This series contains examples of:
- Born Lucky — Lydia. See below.
- Britain Is Only London — Mina suddenly becomes an expert on all things England since she lived there for a few years and the author took a trip there. But, of course, the only other landmark the girls visit is Stonehedge. (She also develops the odd tendency to throw the word "posh" around a lot... because the author likes the word.)
- The Fair Folk — Creatures from Irish mythology pop up occasionally as a Monster of the Week.
- Fiery Redhead: Lydia
- Fighting Irish: Lydia
- Heel-Face Turn — Lydia convinces Malacite to help the senshi fight Beryl in the first story. He still dies though.
- Kid from the Future — Blossom, Fiore and Lydia's child, who is also Sailor Flora Rainbow.
- MacGuffin — The Rainbow Coins, which appear so that Lydia has something to collect and can earn back her Super and Eternal forms, which she lost after the Rainbow Crystals were combined to form the Silver Crystal.
- New Powers as the Plot Demands — Most SM OCs have a repertoire of special attacks that stays within the single digits. Lydia, due to having a power for almost every conceivable situation possible, has around 40 separate attacks by the time the 5th story starts. Some notable examples include the "Rainbow Color Slide", the "Rainbow Shamrock Rope", the "Rainbow Meshed Net", and the "Rainbow Green Glider".
- Oireland — Lydia is a proud citizen of the country. She lives on a farm, drinks like a fish (despite being underaged), has a love for the color green, shamrock jewelry, and lucky charms, and her dialogue is written in a thick Irish accent (when the author is not being lazy). In the HP crossovers, she hooks up with Seamus Finnigan, the lone Irish student character, who also becomes incredibly Oiresh to match.
- Parental Abandonment — Lydia lives with a family friend named Madame Indigo due to her parents being dead. When the HP crossovers start, we learn that her parents are not dead, but imprisoned in Azkaban on the false charge of being accomplices to Sirius Black (they've just been good friends with him since their school days) thanks to Lucius Malfoy planting fake evidence and bribing Cornelius Fudge.
- Pintsized Powerhouse: Lydia
- Psychic Dreams for Everyone
- Rags to Riches — Lydia finds out in the later stories that her father was a seeker for the Ballycastle Bats and one of the governors of Hogwarts and her mother was the best healer St. Mungo's ever employed. The size and sight of their vault in Gringotts causes her to almost faint.
- Red-Headed Hero — Lydia
- Reincarnation — During the Silver Millennium, Lydia and her mother, Azure, were peasants. But since Queen Serenity liked Azure so much, she made her the Queen of the Rainbow. Lydia was friends with Princess Serena and Darien as well.
- Sailor Earth
- Spotlight-Stealing Squad — Lydia pushes the canon characters out of the plot of the first few stories and is single-handedly responsible for defeating every monster (unless it's a Big Bad, then she helps Sailor Moon), and collecting every Rainbow Crystal.