We trained her.
We taught her.
We raised her to godhood.
She brought us down to earth.The Monster We Made is a My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic Dark Fic by Corah Il Cappo.Twilight Sparkle was raised into an immortal alicorn goddess by Celestia and Luna.She rebelled against them.The story can be read here. There is a sequel as well, Memoirs in Ink and Blood.
This story contains examples of:
- A God Am I: Twilight Sparkle.
- Apocalyptic Log: the first chapter is a document left behind by Luna after she was forced to flee for her life.
- As the Good Book Says...: In Twilight's chapter towards the end of the first fic, she paraphrases Romans 8:31.Twilight: If the gods are for us, then who can be against us?
- Biblical Motifs: There are several times where both the fic and its sequel tie themes back to the Bible. This becomes most prominent in the sequel, which even has a chapter titled I Am.
- In fact, the sequel cranked this up even further, with the authors notes on the last few chapters. They were a mystery to fans, until the author revealed that they were written in Biblical Hebrew.
- Constrained Writing: Each chapter, except for the last one and the bonus chapter, has exactly 1000 words. The last chapter has exactly 2000 words. Since the bonus chapter is about Discord, it has a non-round number: 1050 words. The author calls it "an exercise in minimalism".
- This pattern continues into the sequel, where all chapters, save those focused on Discord remain at 1000 words each.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Except for Discord, none of the characters had a chance.
- Defiant to the End: Pinkie Pie keeps a smile to her end.
- Gone Horribly Right: Celestia and Luna recognized Twilight Sparkle's exceptional talent, trained and taught her, and raised her into an alicorn goddess.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: Rarity.
- Happens again to Discord later in the sequel. This one was arguably more severe as he was stabbed with what seemed to be molten iron.
- Posthumous Narration: Except for Luna, Discord, and Twilight Sparkle.
- Shut Up, Hannibal!: Discord to Twilight in the bonus chapter.
- The Stars Are Going Out: In the sequel, its implied that Twilight literally throws stars to earth as a weapon. In the same way, most of the other ponies comment that the sun and moon seem to be at war with one another, frequently leaving them in periods of eclipse.
- Switching P.O.V.: Each chapter is narrated in First-Person Perspective from a different character.
- Title Drop: Twice. Once in Celestia's chapter, and once at the end of the last chapter.
- And Discord drops the series title at the end of his chapter.
- Visual Pun: Discord does one to Twilight. She does not take it well.