Fan Fic: Rain On The Just
Rain on the Just by N. L. RummiAfter the events of the film, not everything is completely settled. It isn't easy to change overnight, after all. While Megamind deals with his new status as a hero (and the obsessive fanboys that can come with that role), Music Man (formerly known as Metro Man or Wayne) is beginning to realize that maybe he didn't think the entire Faking the Dead plan out fully. Roxanne tries to help out both of them as much as possible while her boyfriend tries to gather the courage to say those three little words...Meanwhile, life continues to have complications as a new villain has apparently targeted the city. Bombs are being left in various locations around Metro City. At each site, a card is left behind with the image of a bug and fire on it.
Tropes in Rain on the Just include:
- Accent On The Wrong Syllable: Megamind still does this, but he's been trying to correct it for at least the word "hello." Hence the later OOC Is Serious Business moment below.
- Alliterative Name: The Beetle-Bomber (though he wanted to be called Fire Bug instead)
- Beneath Notice: No one notices someone delivering bagels.
- Berserk Button: In regards to Megamind, don't put Roxanne in danger, don't blow up parts of his city, and don't try to kill Minion. He doesn't react well to that last one at all.
- Call Back: Once more, Roxanne gets tied up to a chair.
- And Megamind gets to wander around the prison disguised as the Warden again.
- Calling Card: The cards left behind by the Beetle-Bomber.
- Chekhov's Gun: The paradox gun
- Owen's blueprints
- Chekhov's Gunman: The guy Roxanne bumps into at the coffee shop with the phone.
- Damsel in Distress: Roxanne is kidnapped (again).
- Damsel out of Distress: Roxanne tries to pry out details of her kidnapper's plan, manages to have the presence of mind to activate a tracking device, attempts to escape on her own by smashing open a window, warns Megamind that Owen has a gun as soon as her boyfriend arrives, nearly wrestles a weapon out of Owen's hands when he gets too close, and spends her entire captivity trying to keep things under control.
- Disney Death: Minion
- Fanboy: Owen gives off the impression of being a particularly obsessive one.
- Loony Fan: He goes to some rather disturbing lengths to "help" his idol, including blowing up several buildings, kidnapping Roxanne, and offering up a trapped Metro Man as a gift.
- Foreshadowing: The reference early on to The Incredibles
- Heroic BSOD: Happens to Megamind when he thinks that Minion is dead.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: Megamind and Minion, just like in the film.
- If You Kill Him, You Will Be Just Like Him: Thankfully Minion talks him out of that and Megamind just plays the part of one approaching the slippery slope instead.
- Lampshading: In the words of Roxanne, "Is it too much to ask to not be tied to a chair for once?"
- Mad Bomber: The Beetle-Bomber/Fire Bug/ Owen
- Not What It Looks Like: Roxanne and Music Man/Metro Man meeting for coffee looks rather suspicious when Owen shows pictures of it.
- OOC Is Serious Business: After working so hard to try and pronounce "hello" at least semi-correctly, Megamind arriving to the rescue by saying "Ollo" tells Roxanne that her boyfriend is seriously ticked off.
- Reality Ensues: Well, Metro Man, everyone thinks you're dead. That means that all your money and resources have been cut off and you can't use your fame anymore to get stuff.
- Shout-Out: Megamind references Buddy/Syndrome's actions in the film as a reason why they can't just brush off Owen's attention
- That Man Is Dead: Owen keeps trying to get people to use his chosen name of Fire Bug rather than his normal one or Beetle-Bomber
- What Measure Is a Non-Human?: Bernard ponders this about the brainbot that pulled a Heroic Sacrifice