Fan Fic / Here Be Dragons Series
The Here Be Dragons series is a Trilogy
of fanfics by Brenna Snow
for the Fire Emblem Awakening
It consists of three stories:
The main pairing
- Chekhov's Gun: There is a stone Gangrel refuses to be separated from, which he got from his mother.
- Cool Hat: Gangrel gets to wear the proper Trickster class attire. Hat included.
- Death Seeker: Gangrel.
- Dragon with an Agenda: Aversa for Gangrel.
- Easily Forgiven: Unsurprisingly averted (as in canon), with more focus on the opinions of most other Shepherds - the majority either hate or distrust Gangrel for his past crimes (or both), only some of whom will give him the benefit of the doubt. Those who are amiable with him can be counted on a single hand as of Chapter 7 - Robin, the first of these, has roomed him with Henry and Gaius due to realising they would deal much better than any other man (or woman) in the company.
- Flashback: As dreams.
- Foreshadowing: Given out in small doses:
- Robin is Reflet.
- Lucina is worried because Gangrel is not alive in her timeline.
- Guile Hero: Robin.
- He Cleans Up Nicely: Robin seems to think this of Gangrel once he gets into his new clothes.
- Heel–Face Turn: Gangrel, of course.
- I Don't Like You and You Don't Like Me: Part of Gangrel's introduction as the newest member of the Shepherds.
- Mark of the Beast: Grima's on Robin's hand. Gangrel knows what's up.
- Meaningful Name: Gaius' nickname for Gangrel is "Rex", which references both his being the former King of Plegia and a popular name for a dog. Gangrel himself doesn't miss this and is amused by it.
- Mildly Military: The Shepherds, specifically Chrom realizing they have no anti-fraternization policy, leading to Battle Couples and Kids From The Future.
- Mythology Gag: Gangrel's new outfit is this to the regular clothes of the Trickster class (right down to the Nice Hat).
- No-Holds-Barred Beatdown: Cordelia delivers one to Gangrel.
- Pirates: They find Gangrel enslaved by these in the first chapter of Memento Mori.
- Pragmatic Adaptation: Shifting Gangrel's recruitment to just before the Valm campaign begins proper (between game Chapters 13 & 14), as well as showing that his old clothes(which no longer fit him as a former King) have been reduced to rags after his two years as a slave of the pirates; he gets a new outfit which symbolises his new lease on life.
- Pseudo Canonical Fic: Instead of waiting until the end to recruit Gangrel (who is a Spot Pass character in the game), his story gets integrated before the Valm arc to great effect. Which makes more sense.
- Rags to Royalty: Gangrel in his backstory, but the war sends him below the level he had started at, as slave to Pirates.
- Reformed, but Rejected: Gangrel as he joins the Shepherds.
- Shout-Out: Henry's has a crow friend who he calls "Poe".
- Speaks Fluent Animal: Henry, at least with Poe.
- Teeth-Clenched Teamwork:
- Ylisse and Regna Ferox with Plegia against Valm.
- Gangrel and the Shepherds.
- That Man Is Dead: Gangrel when first found in Memento Mori. He doesn't look like before either.
- The Atoner: Gangrel.
- The Dog Bites Back: Gangrel to the Pirates.
- The Nicknamer: Gaius, who along with the canon ones gives Gangrel the appellation "Rex".
- Unresolved Sexual Tension: It's starting up between Robin and Gangrel. They are evenly matched at the teasing and flirting department so far.