Chi and Chakra
is a fanfiction written by me, Thrythlind
, set up as a crossover between Naruto
1/2, leaning most heavily toward Naruto in story style and mood. Most of the Ranma characters shown are next generation characters of a sort, though the latest story arch has put in more and more Ranma characters. Ranma himself still hasn't shown up save in the introduction.
I have blatantly started the fanfiction as a vehicle for developing the Ryoko Saotome character for use later in a unique world setting that is still to be determined, especially given that I have at least two other fiction projects not including the writing I'm contracted to do that come first. I'm starting this page to get more commentary on the story line in the form of identified tropes.
The plot is the basic Naruto plot with the addition of a new energy system: chi. In addition there is a recent history of warfare between Ranma and his generation and Happosai and his immediate students. The war ended when the younger masters extracted a promise from Happosai and Genma to no longer teach their arts to any students and to release any curses Happosai had placed on others.
Genma left this fight licking his wounds to discover that his wife Nodoka was now pregnant with a second child, and later a third, in the hopes of having another son since it seemed that Ranma and Akane were unable to produce heirs. For each their own reasons, Nodoka and Genma decided to move homes and not tell Ranma about the other two sisters. When the eldest sister, Ryoko, turned eight, Nodoka begrudgingly allowed them to leave on a training journey that was supposed to return shortly.
Instead, Genma fouled up and ended up first cursing the younger sister, Joseibi, in Jusenkyo and then abandoning the both when he tried to steal some taijutsu scrolls from Konoha.
''Note: A careful look will show that most of the entries here were added by me, Thrythlind, and that it has been added to with even more frequency than I add to my original works. This is because I often use this as a sort of self-evaluation/accounting of what has or has not happened in the story. I always like it when somebody else posts an entry, because they often find something that I didn't think of, but I like having a place to go that has all the characterizations and tropes I've used so far because it makes for a handy tool for maintaining consistency in my story.
So, yeah, I use tvtropes as a public plot map. Not sure if that's the intended use or not.''
Tropes Found In Chi and Chakra:
- Action Girl: Several here, but primarily Ryoko.
- Ascended Extra: Ino Yamanaka is refusing to let the author write her as a nobody.
- Annoying Younger Sibling: Joseibi, mostly from other people's perspective.
- Berserk Button: Naruto's hasn't seen much use yet, but Ryoko has a Berserk Button triggered by fear.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Ryoko
- Big Bad Ensemble: With the addition of the Ranma original cast given personalities to fit the more serious world. So far the Big Bad behind the minor Ranma characters is unrevealed but hinted at.
- Big Eater: Anybody eating in the same area that Ryoko is complains that they feel like they ate less than they ordered.
- Blind Seer: Kodachi
- Blood Knight: Ryoko, and how.
- Break the Cutie: Ryoko comes pre-broken
- The Determinator: Ryoko
- Disability Superpower: Kodachi subverted in that the super sense in question is something anybody of her training would have and she's still at a disadvantage compared to most other martial artists.
- Disappeared Dad: Genma Saotome abandoned his daughters in Konoha and has since severed all ties to members of his extended family.
- Evil Matriarch: Nodoka Saotome fits the second variety. |Completely convinced that [she], and only [she], knows what's best for [her] children, and can be very controlling, manipulative, and perfectly willing to do anything [she] deem necessary for [her] children's sake". In this case, Nodoka fully expects her daughter Ryoko to obey her wishes in every respect. Or else Ryoko would be a failure and obliged to commit ritual suicide. A reluctant refusal by Ryoko , who finally realised she has reasons to live, results in Nodoka dismissing her as "a disobedient and insolent ruffian".
- Gratuitous Japanese: Mostly from Ryoko to emphasize how formal she is
- Handicapped Badass: Kodachi is unable to see or speak. But she retains part of her combat skills and seems to have gained some new ones.
- Kirk Summation: Hinata to Neji
- Love at First Punch: Ryoko post-losing to Kiba
- Obfuscating Stupidity: Employed early in the story by Akane Tendo. The story begins with a battle scene pitting Happosai and Genma Saotome against Ranma Saotome, Akane Tendo, Natsume Tendo, Kurumi Tendo and Ryuu Kumon. The two elder fighters notice Akane trailing "quietly further and further behind in the pace of the fight", concluding she is their weakest opponent and has yet to master all secrets of their art. They naturally shift their attention to the other four. Allowing Akane to position herself behind them and finish them. "Akane was the only one of the five that could have succeeded at this. After all, she was the only one they underestimated."
- Promotion to Parent: Ryoko is effectively raising Joseibi, her younger sister.
- Running Gag: Ryoko can't beat Kiba
- Super-Powered Evil Side: Sakura's gets an upgrade to full out killer mode
- Took a Level in Badass: Sakura had this forced on her
- Ino's made the decision even if she hasn't been able to get out of the hospital long enough for the training.
- Hinata has gained a backbone and an agressive side. Already facing Neji successfully.
- Training from Hell: Ryoko. She uses saner, explained versions on her younger sister once Joseibi decides to be a ninja.