"Rejoice in your gift, my young friends. For that is what our magic is: a gift. Do not listen to what the Templars, Chantry priests, or even what some of our fellow Mages say. Magic is a gift bestowed upon us from the Maker; why else would He grant us such amazing abilities? We have a heavy burden to pay for our gifts, true, but life is not without consequences. So never forget, children, that the magic you possess is not a curse, but a very important power that the Maker has seen fit to grant you all. Never forget that."A Dragon Age Alternate Universe fanfic written by Anime-Star Wars-Fan-Zach. It asks the question: what if Alistair hadn't grown up with the Templar Order? What if instead he'd been raised in the Mage Tower?It features appearances from a young Jowan, Anders, Wynne, and even Emelia Amell.The story is still in its early stages, but the author plans to take it all the way to the Fifth Blight...and possibly beyond.Can be found here.Needs Wiki Magic Love.
This fanfiction contains examples of:
- All of the Other Reindeer: It kind of sucks when the main religion of the setting thinks you're inherently evil because you can do something they can't. It sucks even more when you realize it has a point.
- Alternate Universe
- Dark and Troubled Past: Almost the whole cast so far.
- Alistair was raised in a stable and lived a lonely existence until he was captured by Templars.
- Talia was a slave of Arl Urien, abused by him and his monstrous son before being rescued and taken to the Tower.
- If his origin follows the main continuity, Anders counts as well, having suffered a father who feared him for his power and Templars who took him away in chains.
- Deadpan Snarker: It looks like Alistair learned this from Anders in this continuity.
- Evil Mentor: Senior Enchanter Uldred trained the sweet and caring Enchanter Angelica.
- Friendless Background: Alistair has one.
- Meaningful Name: Enchanter Angelica is a kind-hearted instructor who believes magic to be a gift, not a curse.
- Mythology Gag / Call-Forward: Quite a few references to (possible) future events.
- Never Learned to Read: Alistair and many of his classmates.
- Wide-Eyed Idealist: Alistair starts out as one.
- Wizarding School: Subverted. As in the main continuity, it's also basically a Wizarding Prison.