Darth Wiki: Foreign Devil
An unwritten Urban Fantasy story by Carbonek13.Kazuo Ulrich, a half Japanese/American college dropout heads to Tokyo to attend the funeral of his estranged mother. Afterwards, he learns that she was actually an oni (and by extension, so is he), and was a member of an extensive Masquerade comprising of youkai and obake who choose to live among humans, but are ruled by a powerful council of elders (dubbed the "Tokyoukai", a portmanteau of "Tokyo" and "youkai," like how Pokémon comes from "Pocket Monsers"). At the request of his uncle, to try to come to terms with his newly discovered monsterhood, and because he has nothing better to do, he decides to stick around.
Contains examples of:
Contains examples of:
- All Myths Are True
- Boisterous Bruiser: Kaz's Uncle Shinichi, an oni enforcer who likes to drink, pick fights, drink, sleep around and drink.
- Chinese Vampire: Quite a few Jiangshi live in Chinatown and other parts of the city.
- Creator Provincialism: A serious concern; the closest the author has ever been to Japan is Mississippi.
- Fish out of Water: Kazuo, big time. In America, he was too Japanese to fit in properly; In Japan, he's too American and, oh yeah, finds out he's not even human!
- Friendly Neighborhood Vampire: most of the cast, including the actual vampires.
- Half-Human Hybrid: Kaz and several other characters. There simply aren't enough monsters around to keep a population of purebreeds going. Possibly subverted, as Kaz's dad is hinted to be at least half Scandanavian troll.
- I'm a Humanitarian: Not too often, but it is the preferred method of making troublesome humans and monsters "disappear".
- Is That What He Told You??: Averted. Nobody told Kaz ANYTHING about his origins or the Tokyokai, and they are just as surprised that he doesn't know as he is in finding out.
- Kawaisa: Deconstructed when the gang investigate a Hello Kitty Expy theme park run by an evil bakeneko.
- The Masquerade: A pretty effective one, too, powered by yōkai magic, the Imperial Family, numerous corporations and the legendary Weirdness Censor of the Japanese people.
- Mix-and-Match Critters
- More Teeth than the Osmond Family
- Mysterious Parent: Kaede Fujioka, Kaz's dead mother.
- Our Monsters Are Different
- Petting Zoo People: Kitsune (foxes), tanuki (racoon-dogs), nekomata and bakeneko (cats), tsuchigumo (spiders), karasu tengu (crow... things), and quite a few others.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Kazuo and Shinichi, respectively.
- Secret Legacy
- Things That Go Bump in the Night
- Tokyo Is the Center of the Universe: only at the beginning, before Kaz starts traveling to other parts of the country. He eventually starts traveling to other countries as an international representative of the Tokyoukai
- Voluntary Shapeshifting
- Winged Humanoid: The tengu, some of the time.