"Broadcasting programs that contribute to a sense of national identity and inform and entertain, and reflect the cultural diversity of, the Australian community..."
—The ABC Charter
"Few Australian institutions excite such passionate attachments as the ABC (which may be why those who think Australia does not need a public broadcaster are so relentless in their criticism of it)."The Australian Broadcasting Corporation provides the oldest national TV service in Australia. It began in 1929 as the Australian Broadcasting Company,note a national public radio service that tried to be like the The BBC.note Since its nationalisation on 1 July 1932, the ABC has always tried to bring the same service to all Australians, first on radio and later on TV. Not an easy task, considering how remote every town and city is. However, it has paid off — it is currently the only national radio service, and has consistently maintained its position as Australia's most trusted media service.While the ABC has always played second fiddle to commercial radio in Australia, it still maintains an important role on the country's radio dial and currently runs five radio services:
- ABC Local Radio (its programming is actually divided between local, statewide and nationwide)
- Radio National (the only Australian radio station that still runs "serious" programming)
- ABC NewsRadio
- ABC Classic FM (one of the first FM services in Australia)
- Triple J (the "youth" station, and the only radio service that can play the F word in the afternoon)
The ABC broadcasts four different television channels altogether:
- ABC, formerly simply known as ABC-TV and ABC1: the original channel.
- ABC2, launched March 2005. Since May 2011 it has had a programming block from 5 AM to 7 PM which is branded like a separate channel named ABC Kids (formerly known as ABC 4 Kids), aimed at pre-school children.
- ABC3, launched December 2009: Australia's only free-to-air channel purely for children, aimed at a slightly older audience than ABC Kids. Perhaps inevitably, it became the channel most-watched by Australian kids, and produced a few smash-hits such as Dance Academy.
- ABC News 24, launched July 2010: the only Australian free-to-air 24-hour news network, known for extending the ABC's respected journalistic repertoire (if on an absolutely tiny budget).
Programs originating on The ABC:
- Angry Boys
- The Aunty Jack Show
- Bananas in Pyjamas
- Blue Water High
- Everything done by The Chaser's War on Everything
- The Code
- The Ferals
- Feral TV
- The Games
- The Glass House
- Good Game
- Good News Week (Channel Hopped to Network Ten in 1999)
- The Gruen Transfer
- The Hamster Wheel
- The Hollowmen
- Kath and Kim (Ended up Channel Hopping to Seven Network)
- Li'l Elvis Jones and the Truckstoppers
- Media Watch
- Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries
- Mother And Son
- Play School - the Australian version.
- Redfern Now
- Shaun Micallefs Mad As Hell
- The Slap
- Spicks And Specks
- The Straits
- Summer Heights High
- Upper Middle Bogan
- Various shows by The Wiggles.
- Anything that originated on ABC3