Max Adler (b: 1986) is an American actor best known for his role of bully David Karofsky in the FOX hit show Glee
. Despite the character he plays
, he is an anti-bullying activist, and is also involved in the fight against Muscular Distrophia.
See also: Chris Colfer
, Darren Criss
, Lea Michele
, Cory Monteith
and Kevin McHale
This actor provides examples of:
- Ascended Extra: He auditioned for one of the main male characters on the show, didn't get it but impressed Ryan Murphy enough for him to call him back for the then-small part of Karofsky, which was expanded when Murphy noticed his potential.
- Ascended Fanboy: He has said that he auditioned for a part in Glee because he admired Ryan Murphy and his work.
- Dawson Casting: It's not as noticeable as some other actors on the show, but he is 26 playing an 18-year-old.
- Hollywood Pudgy: On the show he's been called 'chubby' and 'unattractive', despite being neither. Of course, the words were said during an angry rant...
- Though partially (if loosely) in-universe justified/handwaved/whatever in that Karofsky usually is wearing a heavy letterman jacket and is a lineman. The former tends to be loose around the waist while the latter tends to be stereotyped as heavy around the belly.
- Irony As He Is Cast: He's one of the only two actors (the other being Jayma Mays) in the whole cast to have actually been in a Glee club, and a successful one, thus meaning he can sing pretty well, but he's playing a character who wants nothing to do with the club.
- Also he's one of the few characters that didn't sing a single song.
- Lying Actor: Not as much as someone 'cough Chris Colfer cough', but Max knows what to say and what to withhold about Glee and his character's journey.
- Mean Character Nice Actor: And how. Probably to be averted in the future as David Karofsky will most probably mellow out during season 3, and there have already been a lot of signs pointing out that he might not be such a bully if he let go. Even so, the contrast between moody teenage boy prone to violence David Karofsky and easy-going, respectful man Max Adler is very sharp. If he'd been given one or two actual interviews before Never Been Kissed, a lot of people would have realised He Really Can Act much sooner. One wonders if RIB hoped that nobody would pay that much attention to him before the episode for precisely this reason.
- Just... watch his early interactions with Kurt. Now think about the fact that, during their free time, Max and Chris Colfer are plotting an Oprah musical...
- His TV Career seems to be going this way, as his character in the Last Resort pilot is or better, was as of episode's end also kind of a bad guy.
- Inverted with his role on Switched at Birth, who's arguably as nice a guy as Max actually is.
- When He Smiles: On Glee, Karofsky is usually scowling or otherwise looking pissed. But as his picture here shows, when he's not, he's actually pretty dashing.