Creator: Margaret Mahy
Margaret Mahy is a prolific and award-winning New Zealand author of Young Adult and Children's Literature.Two of her novels, The Haunting and The Changeover, have won the Carnegie Medal. She has also been awarded the Hans Christian Andersen Award.
Works by Margaret Mahy with their own trope pages include:
Other works by Margaret Mahy provide examples of:
- After the End: Maddigan's Fantasia is set some time 'after the Great Chaos changed the shape of the world'. The Chaos itself is never described or hinted at, but the entire series is spent trying to ensure that the existing state of things doesn't get any worse.
- Alien Among Us: Aliens in the Family
- Circus Brat: The protagonist of Maddigan's Fantasia, Garland, is the daughter of the circus' Ringmaster.
- Evil Is Deathly Cold: "The Devil and the Corner Grocer" (in The Chewing-Gum Rescue and Other Stories) has the grocer feel a chill whenever the villain walks into the shop. At the climax, the demon manifests without his disguise, and it's freezing — until the grocer calls on the angel who's also been appearing throughout the story, who turns up with a much more convivial temperature.
- Hellish Pupils: The Hot Witch in Alchemy has eyes that initially appear normal, but turn yellow and catlike when examined closely. Somewhat surprisingly, she's a good guy—the antagonist is even creepier.
- Hot Librarian: Played for Laughs with Miss Laburnum from The Librarian and the Robbers.
- I Just Write the Thing: The entire point of "A Villain's Night Out."
- Pirate: The Great Piratical Rambustification, The Pirates' Mixed-Up Voyage
- A Pirate 400 Years Too Late: The Pirates' Mixed-Up Voyage
- Stranger in a Strange School: The Blood-and-Thunder Adventure on Hurricane Peak