Jeremy Lee "Renni" Renner (born 1971) is an American actor known for his role in Joss Whedon
's The Avengers
. He also starred in Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol
and The Bourne Legacy
as Aaron Cross. His most famous role is probably that of Sergeant First Class William James in The Hurt Locker
Renner first became interested in acting through an exercise at a local police academy, which gave him the opportunity to role-play a domestic disturbance perpetrator as part of a police-training exercise for an easy $50.
In addition to his work as an actor, Renner continues to cultivate a lifelong love of music. A singer, songwriter, and musician, he performed with the band Sons of Ben early in his career. Scenes in Love Comes to the Executioner
, North Country
, and The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
briefly showcase Renner's singing talents.
His notable roles include:
Tropes displayed by Jeremy Renner include:
- Adorkable: In most interviews, especially his entrances to them. Also has the tendency to make the most hilarious faces and poses during red carpet events, no matter how prestigious the event.
- Badass: Has a penchant for these roles.
- The Cameo: Appeared in Thor as Hawkeye, but was neither named nor credited.
- Loony Fan: Was sadly a victim of this after playing Jeffrey Dahmer - one fan bit him on his arm, while another kidnapped his pet cat Milo.
- Mean Character Nice Actor
- Mr. Fanservice
- Old Shame: You're unlikely to hear his debut "National Lampoon's Senior Trip" mentioned in interviews.
- Older Than They Look: Hard to believe the man is forty-two, especially since almost all of his roles involve characters that are almost a decade (or more) younger than his actual age. This is being amped Up to Eleven in the upcoming Hansel and Gretel film, where he is playing a character that is, at the most, in his late twenties.
- Raging Stiffie: He's not shy about telling the story about having this happen after a friend gave him a Viagra instead of a sleeping pill to help him sleep on a grueling Los Angeles to London flight.
- Renaissance Man: During his days as a struggling actor, he managed to take the job of makeup artist and home renovator, of all things. He actually still makes a large income flipping houses in LA. He's also a very talented musician, and he gets to show off his voice in a couple of this film roles.
- Retroactive Recognition: Happens a lot. He's been acting for nearly twenty years but has only been big for about the last five.
- The Stoic: Most of his characters.