->''I don't want to go on a rant here, but the U.S. foreign policy makes about as much sense as Robert Fulton having sex with Beowulf at the First Battle of Antietam. I mean, when a neo-conservative defenestrates, it's like Rovslofski filibustered deoxymonohydroxinate.''
Dennis Michael Miller (born November 3, 1953) is a comedian who was Weekend Update anchor on ''Series/SaturdayNightLive'' from 1985[[note]]during the show's 11th season, which was so fraught with mediocre writing and acting that NBC nearly had the show cancelled. Dennis Miller's turn as a Weekend Update anchor was the reason why season 11 was considered tolerable[[/note]] to 1991, making him the first long-running Weekend Update anchor[[note]]with Tina Fey tying his record and Creator/SethMeyers breaking it[[/note]] and the first ''SNL'' cast member to stay on the show for longer than five years. Prior to that, most cast members either were dropped after one or two years or stayed on until their fourth or fifth year (often leaving to star in feature films or other television shows). Miller opened the door for other long-running cast members like Darrell Hammond, Phil Hartman, Tim Meadows, Kenan Thompson, Fred Armisen, Bill Hader, and fellow Weekend Update anchors Creator/TinaFey and Creator/SethMeyers (the only other Weekend Update anchors to stay on past the fifth-year mark).
Though Miller acknowledged that he wasn't good at acting in sketches and felt at home as a Weekend Update anchor (as it was an opportunity for him to do his stand-up), there were rare times where he was in sketches. His recurring characters were Koko, a forest sprite from the short-lived recurring sketch "Miss Connie's Fable Nook" and Steve, a sarcastic observational stand-up comic (seen on a season 11 sketch on the episode hosted by Jay Leno and a season 13 sketch on the episode hosted by TomHanks). His celebrity impressions include Nathaniel Crosby (Bing Crosby's son), Senator Gary Hart, and George Harrison from The Beatles.
After his stint on ''SNL'', Miller hosted a short-lived late night talk show ''The Dennis Miller Show'' which he parlayed into a successful [=HBO=] talk show ''Dennis Miller Live'', running from 1994-2002. He was also a color commentator on ''Series/MondayNightFootball'' from 2000 to 2001. Since 2007 he's hosted his own radio show called ''The Dennis Miller Show''.
His comedy is [[DeadpanSnarker very snarky]] and includes [[ViewersAreGeniuses lots of obscure references]] [[SesquipedalianLoquaciousness and big words.]] Early in the TurnOfTheMillennium his political views, previously considered to be mostly to the left, shifted significantly more to the conservative side of the spectrum.[[note]]Although his ''SNL'' colleague Creator/AlFranken [[http://uproxx.com/tv/the-story-of-dennis-miller-going-full-conservative/ disagrees]]: he states Miller was conservative on many issues back then.[[/note]]
!!Tropes associated with Dennis Miller include:
* CatchPhrase: On ''Weekend Update'' he would begin with, "Good evening, and what can I tell you?" and end with "Guess what, folks? That's the news, and I am outta here." On ''Dennis Miller Live'' his rants would begin with "[[HypocriticalHumor Now, I don't want to get off on a rant here, but...]]" and end with "[[SelfDeprecation Of course, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong]]."
* DeadpanSnarker: To an almost insane degree.
* HeterosexualLifePartners: With Creator/BillOReilly. They have done an ''infinite'' number of events, together....
* ItsAllAboutMe: His schtick, and professed political ideology. He once declared himself a pragmatist, which is to say "everybody is an asshole except me."
** In his ''Raw Feed'' special, he trolled liberals by welcoming global warming because he hates winter, and joked he didn't care if his grandkids had to live through environmental devastation. "I'm not going to be here, [[ChildrenAreAWaste what do I care?]]"
* RantComedy: The rant was a OncePerEpisode feature of ''Dennis Miller Live''.
* SesquipedalianLoquaciousness and SophisticatedAsHell: He mixes obscure references and big words with lots of slang, and when uncensored, cursing.
* VerbalTic: "Babe."
* ViewersAreGeniuses: One of the main reasons why Miller is a LoveItOrHateIt comedian. Other shows have made fun of this, such as ''WesternAnimation/TheSimpsons'' (season ten's "They Saved Lisa's Brain," where Comic Book Guy's "C:/DOS. C:/DOS/Run, Run/DOS/Run" shirt is only considered funny to one person out of a million (which is called "The Dennis Miller Ratio") and ''WesternAnimation/FamilyGuy'' (the ColdOpen to "Peter Griffin: Husband, Father, Brother?" has Peter watching a monologue to ''Dennis Miller Live'' filled with obscure vocabulary and historical references -- and Peter responding with "What the hell does 'rant' mean?")
** Subverted once by Creator/JaneaneGarofalo on his [=HBO=] show. She talked about doing a photo shoot and wanting it to be like Kim Deal of Music/ThePixies, and ''he'' didn't get the reference, saying "I've never felt older."