Daphne Keen Fernández, better known as Dafne Keen (born January 1st 2005), is a British-Spanish child actress who made her acting debut alongside her father Will Keen in the joint British-Spanish television series The Refugees. Her breakthrough role came in 2017, when she played Laura / X-23 in Logan.
Tropes associated with this actress's work:
- Action Girl: Keen's background includes gymnastics, and due to the difficulties of finding a stunt double to match her size for Logan (she was only 4'11" and 90 lbs at the time), she ended up doing a lot of her own stunts and wire work. In fact, her first audition tape consisted of her climbing around on and leaping off her living room furniture.
- Ambiguously Brown: Keen is Caucasian of mixed English/Spanish ancestry; however, the latter gives her a slightly dark complexion, which allowed her to pass as Latina for playing the half-Latina Laura in Logan.
- And Introducing: She is credited this way in Logan, both in the opening credits and in marketing material, since it's her first major role in a film.
- Bilingual Bonus/Cunning Linguist: Keen was raised fully bilingual by her English father and Spanish mother. This was utilized in Logan, in which Laura has dialogue in both languages. It also applies to accents: while she was born and lived in Spain until she was 5, her family moved to England afterwards. She has lost any Spanish accent she had, and now naturally speaks with a London English accent. In Logan, she gives Laura a strong Mexican Spanish accent.
- But Not Too White: She's ethnically half-Spanish, and as such has a slightly dark complexion. This worked in her favor for Logan, as James Mangold wanted Laura to be Hispanic. See Ambiguously Brown above.