(born 1st January, 1986) is an actor born in Armagh, Northern Ireland. He is best known for playing the title character in the BBC
. Morgan went to Integrated College Dungannon in Dungannon; in his third year, he won the Denis Rooney Associates Cup, an award for being the best overall student of that academic year. After gaining a National Diploma in Performing Arts (Acting) and studying at Belfast Institute of Further and Higher Education in 2004, Morgan graduated from the Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama in 2007. In November 2010, the Belfast Metropolitan College gave Morgan an Award of Distinction for his contribution to the arts. He won the National Television Awards 2013 for Best Drama Performance male with his Star Making Role
Morgan is widely praised for his expressive acting and his skill with accents (to date, he has taken on an English accent for Merlin
, Scottish for Island
, and an Irish accent different from his own for Parked
). Besides his TV and film roles, he also has a strong stage career. He has played Vernon in Vernon God Little
, Sebastian in All about My Mother
, Carlos in Our Private Life
, and is playing Ariel in the 2013 production of The Tempest
by Globe Theatre. Some interviewers have noted his penchant for playing characters who are the minority and/or ostracized by society (Merlin is a good example). His characters also tend to have a lot of angst.
He apparently speaks cat.
This actor provides examples of:
- The Ace: Colin is the triple threat. He can act and according to his co-stars, he can also sing and dance really well. Let's not forget that Colin has also mastered juggling.
- Adorkable: His portrayal of Merlin is this, so much. In Real Life he also has this in spades.
- Black Humor: This is his distinctive humor style.
- Bookworm / Cute Bookworm: Colin is known to read a lot.
- Deadpan Snarker: Both as Merlin and himself.
- Dyeing For Your Art: Morgan temporarily took up smoking despite being a non-smoker to convincingly portray a heroin addict for Parked. And he apparently read extensively on Arthurian lore for Merlin.
- Eerie Pale Skinned Brunet: Colin is very pale skinned. It's especially noticeable in contrast to his very dark hair.
- Fake Brit: He's actually from Northern Ireland (which makes him technically a subject of the Crown but details) and frequently has to use an accent different from his own when he acts. He has also been Fake Scotch in Island and Fake Dubliner in Parked.
- Genre Savvy: He's stated on several occasions that he avoids internet fandom, knowing full-well some of the stuff that goes on in there...
- Innocent Blue Eyes
- Irish Accent: Colin's Northern Irish accent is well known, and the noticeable difference between his natural accent and the accent he uses for Merlin is often noted. An amusing incident related to his accent is that when he won the NTA 2013 Award for Best Actor, "Merlin is Irish" trended on Twitter.
- Like Brother and Sister: Angel Coulby has described her relationship with Colin as this.
- Mr. Fanservice: The first one to get a Shirtless Scene in Merlin. Some would consider his boyish looks and adorkableness as Merlin a form of fanservice.
- Nice Guy: All of Colin's co-stars comment on how nice and polite Colin is towards everyone.
- Older Than They Look: Colin is in his 20's but could pass as a teenage boy, especially in the early Merlin days. His looks has matured a lot since then.
- One of Us: He is a Discworld fan (and fantasy in general) and once stated that he would like to play Mort if the novel were to be adapted.
- Ooh, Me Accent's Slipping: Sometimes as Merlin, Colin's Irish accent slips through.
- The Prankster: Alongside his friend and co-star Bradley James.
- Pretty Boy / Bishōnen: Quite a few fans view Colin as being pretty, fragile and delicate.
- The Quiet One: From all the 'Behind The Scenes' videos, he comes across as this. Topped with the fact that Bradley James considered him quite hard to understand at first.
- Self-Deprecation: Colin has a rather self-deprecating sense of humour.
- Shrinking Violet: Colin is this so much, even admits it himself.
"Bradley told us that youíre a shy person? Is that true?"
"Yes, usually itís a bit difficult for me to speak when I have to speak with many people. This intimidates me a little."
- Squee: He is a huge John Hurt fanboy. But really, who can blame him? He was over the moon when he learned he had the chance to met him and shares scenes with him.
- The Smart Guy: See Bookworm.
- Star Making Role: Merlin, the titular character.
- Tall, Dark and Handsome: Colin sure cleans◊up nicely◊.
- Tall, Dark and Snarky
- Tender Tears: Colin is very good at emotional scenes on Merlin. The fangirls go nuts over him for it.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Bradley James. Apparently, Colin and Bradley's relationship in Real Life is almost identical to Merlin and Arthur's, with all the bickering and the teasing.
- What Beautiful Eyes: Colin's blue eyes are popular with the fangirls.
- When He Smiles: Colin has an adorkable yet beautiful smile.