Aidan Turner (born 19 June 1983) is an Irish stage and screen actor, best known for playing Kíli the Dwarf in Peter Jackson's three-part adaptation of The Hobbit
. He was previously known for playing Dante Gabriel Rossetti in the 2009 mini-series Desperate Romantics
, and Friendly Neighbourhood Vampire
John Mitchell in the popular BBC series Being Human
. He has also been cast as Luke Garroway in the upcoming Mortal Instruments
- Anti-Hero: Often plays characters with a great degree of moral ambiguity, or at least a distinct Jerkass edge.
- Badass Beard: He grew a very◊ thick beard just for the hell of it right before the filming of The Hobbit began. Peter Jackson told him to shave it off, though.
- Mr. Fanservice: He's already being referred to by his Hobbit co-stars as "sexy dwarf" and "the hot one".
- Name's the Same: Confusingly, there's a British actor named Aiden Turner (note the spelling) who's best known for his time on All My Children. To make matters worse, he played The Danza on AMC, but his character's name was spelled Aidan Devane.
- Perma Stubble: Seems to be his usual state of being.
- Real Life Writes the Plot: The Fingerless Gloves that became so iconic to Mitchell? It was simply because the Bristol set where they filmed Being Human was absolutely freezing, and he was looking to pile on any extra layer he could. They became so iconic to him that they were eventually explained as he was covering as much of his light-sensitive vampire flesh as he could.
- Vampires Are Sex Gods: His performance in Being Human helped to solidify this idea into the minds of British females.