In The DCU
, a US military group called the Super Human Advanced Defense Executive, or S.H.A.D.E.
, monitors supernatural and superhuman activities. Led by Father Time, an immortal old man who regenerates a new body every decade (currently in the body of a little Asian girl), agents are deployed to deal with the strange and bizarre threats to humanity that normal people can't face. Their greatest agent is Frankenstein, a character based on the monster from the novel of the same name, an undead, unstoppable killing machine with the soul of a poet. Along with his team of monsters, the Creature Commandos, and his ex-wife Lady Frankenstein, Frankenstein keeps humanity safe from the things that go bump in the night.
This comicbook series provides examples of the following:
- Artificial Human: The Humanids which are mass produced in S.H.A.D.E. City to act as its caretakers and also to perform various menial tasks. Each Humanid is made to last for only 24 hours. At that time, they decompose and the waste byproduct is used as a clean, renewable energy source to power the Ant Farm.
- Cape Busters: S.H.A.D.E.
- Cross Over: In a one-shot crossover with OMAC, Frankenstein was commissioned by a joint S.H.A.D.E.-Checkmate operation in capturing OMAC.
- Genius Loci: In War of the Monsters, the Monster Planet was discovered to be not a planet, but a massive living telepathic entity.
- Monster Mash: The Creature Commandos
- Lady Frankenstein
- Nina Mazursky (Gillwoman)
- Khalis (Mummy)
- Vincent Velcoro (Vampire)
- Warren Griffith (Werewolf)
- The Vietnam War: In a flashback to Frankenstein's backstory, Frankenstein had served the U.S. forces in Vietnam in 1969 along with another S.H.A.D.E. superhuman operative, Colonel Quantum, an expy of Doctor Manhattan. The latter grew very disillusioned with the entire war and went AWOL. Eventually, Frankenstein and S.H.A.D.E. would come to realize that Quantum was right and their decision to intervene was wrong.
- Town with a Dark Secret: Bone Lake in War of the Monsters, the townspeople have been in a sort of pact with the creatures by offering them children for untold years.