Comic Book: The New York Four
Riley: New York City— it awes me into silence sometimes... And it makes me want to shout out at the top of my lungs. Is there any place better?The New York Four
is a graphic novel by writer Brian Wood, and artist Ryan Kelly, published in 2008 by Minxnote
The book follows four girls, Riley Wilder, Merissa Vasquez, Lona Lo, and Ren Severin, as they traverse through everyday college life in New York City. Riley, is our tour guide
, if you will, since it's through her eyes that we get to experience what's happening.
There's also a small number of hints and tips, subtitled: NY 101
, scattered around the book, through which we get useful advice, or interesting hangout spot suggestions, and sometimes even historical facts, about the city.
A sequel titled: The New York Five
, was published by Vertigo
The New York Four contains examples of:
- Alpha Bitch: Merissa shares certain aspects with this one.
- Asian and Nerdy: Lona is this, but she's classy too.
- Big Applesauce: Where else?
- Cute Bookworm: Riley, literati parents and all.
- Four Girl Ensemble: Check!
- Four-Temperament Ensemble: Double-check!
- Good Adultery, Bad Adultery: Frank is definitely a bad adulterer. He gradually seduces his girlfriend's amazingly sheltered little sister, has no motive presented for it aside from lust, has apparently cheated on his girlfriend before, and continues stalking Riley even when she tries to cut him off.
- Hipster: Frank.
- New Year Has Come: The ending, with a climactic countdown to top it off! The symbolism of it being a new beginning for Riley, however, is undercut when Frank reaches out to her on her new phone, showing that he has turned to stalking her.
- Shout-Out: Brian Woods has lots of them inserted.
- Socially-Awkward Hero: Riley, a lot.
- Tomboy: Ren.