open/close all folders
Lillian 'Lily' Salvatore
Portrayed by: Annie Wersching
"You have no idea what devastation feels like. But you will. Because I am going to find a way to get my people back. No matter what it takes."Stefan and Damon's mother. Lily died of consumption in 1858. In Season Six, it is revealed Lily actually became a vampire. She eventually became a Ripper vampire like Stefan was. Lily was imprisoned in a Prison World by the the Gemini Coven of witches on October 31, 1903.
- Ax-Crazy: She was driven crazy from being trapped in the prison world and this is made worse by her desire to reunite with the Heretics.
- The Determinator: In Season 6, Lily is determined to bring the Heretics, who she sees as her true family rather than Stefan and Damon, back from the 1903 prison world at any cost.
- Again in Season 7, when she also trying to get back Julian, the love of her life.
- HeelĖFace Turn: She turns against Julian when it is revealed what he did to Valerie and her unborn child, siding with her sons and the Heretics who sided with her against him.
- Heroic Suicide/Senseless Sacrifice: She stakes herself under the assumption that she is still linked to Julian in an attempt to kill him to save her sons but then he reveals that he unlinked them meaning she killed herself for nothing.
- Iron Lady: Lillian comes off as very controlling, stoic and stern. She is also very cold and unloving towards her own sons, although she does come around to loving and accepting her sons as her family later on.
- Killed Off for Real: Dies when she stakes herself believing she was still linked to Julian in an attempt to kill him.
- Like Mother, Like Son: Her youngest son Stefan is a Ripper just like her and it seems that she passed on the "Ripper gene" onto Stefan.
- Mama Bear: Was this to Stefan and Damon before her death in the nineteenth century. Too bad not anymore.
- Missing Mom: Stefan and Damon initially thought their mom died from tuberculosis in 1858. Turns out she was actually a vampire trapped in a Prison World of 1903 constructed by the Gemini witches.
- Mysterious Past: Her sons knew nothing of her life after she became a vampire and believed her to be dead for centuries.
- Redemption Equals Death: As stated, she turns against Julian after finding out what he did to Valerie and attempts to kill him by staking herself. On her death bed she apologizes to Stefan and Damon and for her actions and abandoning them.
- Parental Abandonment: When Lily first became a vampire she actually came home to her sons. To her horror, when she came upon a sleeping Stefan she was tempted to feed on him. So she decided to leave her family to protect them from a dangerous vampire.
- That Man Is Dead: As Lily grew closer to the Heretics throughout their imprisonment in 1903, she became more fond of them, that overtime she began to consider them her family. She admits to Damon the mother he knew her once wasn't able to reconcile with the person she was becoming.
- This Is Unforgivable!: When she is dying from staking herself and is apologizing to her sons, Damon refuses to forgive her for her suggesting to Kai to curse Elena by linking her life to Bonnie resulting in her being in a magical coma until Bonnie dies.
- Undying Loyalty: She has this towards her surrogate family the Heretics and to Julian, but her loyalty to Julian is severed when it is revealed what he did to Valerie centuries ago.
Portrayed by: James Remar
"These creatures are of the darkest parts of hell...they must be destroyed!"
- Abusive Parent: See Knight Templar.
- Action Dad: Involved amidst all of the vampire action.
- Aggressive Categorism: Giuseppe has an Irrational Hatred towards all vampire and sees them all as abominations.
- The Alcoholic: Stefan mentions how after his mother died, Giuseppe became a heavy drinker.
- Blood Knight: Giuseppe is always eager to kill and eradicate as many vampires as possible.
- The Chessmaster: Giuseppe is very manipulative.
- Control Freak: Giuseppe was very controlling and authoritarian by nature.
- Drowning My Sorrows: After Giuseppe's wife died, he used alcohol as a coping mechanism for his grief.
- Fantastic Racism: Giuseppe has a hatred against vampires.
- The Fundamentalist: A non-religious example. Giuseppe strongly believed that all vampires are evil and incapable of any good.
- Gentleman and a Scholar
- Hoist by His Own Petard: Giuseppe tries to stake Stefan as a vampire, but instead, Giuseppe ends up fatally wounded after he was staked by the same stake that he was going to use to kill his own son.
- Irrational Hatred: Towards all vampires.
- Jerkass: BIG TIME.
- Karmic Death: Giuseppe ends up being killed by his own son Stefan, who happens to be a vampire, the one thing that he hunts and despises.
- Killed Off for Real: After rejecting Stefan for siding with the vampires, he tried to stake him with a wooden stake that he broke off himself, but he was thrown aside with the impact of Stefan's unexpected vampire strength and accidentally stabbed himself with the stake.
- Knight Templar: Killed his own sons for trying to help a vampire escape.
- Knight Templar Parent: He is very ruthless and authoritarian towards his sons.
- Manipulative Bastard: Extremely cunning and manipulative.
- Overprotective Dad: Especially over Stefan.
- Papa Wolf: Very protective of his sons, especially Stefan.
- Parental Favoritism: For Stefan, whom he admired for being studious and responsible while he believed his eldest son Damon was irresponsible and lacked any sense of direction.
- The Patriarch: Of the Salvatore family.
- Posthumous Character
- Protectorate: As a member of one of the Founding Families of Mystic Falls, Giuseppe had a duty to protect the town of Mystic Falls from vampires.
- Sharp-Dressed Man: Always well dressed and well put together.
- The Stoic: Doesn't show emotion and is very stern.
- Vampire Hunter: Hunts vampires and sees them as an abomination.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: See Knight Templar.
Sara Nelson (born Sara Salvatore)
Portrayed by: Tristin Mays
"This is why I don't go to the Animal Shelter"Daughter of Zach Salvatore, Sara is the only living member of the Salvatore bloodline.
- Back for the Dead: Returns in season 8 and gets killed by Sybil in the one episode she appears in.
- Character Death: Stabbed by Sybil and dies in front of Stefan in season 8.
- But Not Too Black: Justified. Her father was white while her mother was black.
- Morality Pet: To Enzo.
- Nice Girl: Lampshaded by Enzo.
- Long-Lost Relative: Inverted. Stefan knows about her, she just doesn't know about him.
- Ship Tease: With Matt.
- Twofer Token Minority: Of her own family. She's the only woman and she's biracial.
Portrayed by: Chris William Martin
"Blood only runs so deep when you're related to vampires."
- Forgotten Fallen Friend: Right now nobody seems aware of his death besides Stefan, Damon, and Elena.
- Killed Off for Real: By Damon.
- Neck Snap: How Damon killed him.
Portrayed: by David Anders
"You know, Jeremy, I was taught to hate them, the vampires. Itís what I know. Itís what your father knew."
- Annoying Younger Sibling: To Grayson.
- Anti-Villain: Type III.
- Big Bad: Of season one.
- Big Bad Duumvirate: With Richard Lockwood in season one. While Lockwood was the leader of the Founders Council, John is seen and treated as the main antagonist and outlives Lockwood.
- Cool Uncle/Evil Uncle: To Jeremy. He's also Elena's biological father. Though Jeremy stops thinking of him like this when he kills his girlfriend.
- Dragon-in-Chief: See Big Bad Duumvirate.
- He Who Fights Monsters: Isobel and John are working for Katherine and they are planning to kill the tomb's vampires. Unofficially, their goal is to kill the Salvatore brothers and save Elena from suffering in a life filled with vampires.
- Heroic Sacrifice: After Klaus killed Elena, John sacrificed himself to bring her back to life as a human.
- Killed Off for Real: While making a Heroic Sacrifice to save Elena from becoming a vampire.
- Knight Templar
- Knight Templar Parent: To Elena.
- Luke, I Am Your Father: He's Elena's birth father.
- Redemption Equals Death: He sacrificed himself to save Elena.
- Senseless Sacrifice: Sacrificing his life to resurrect Elena without her having to turn into a vampire ends up being for nothing when she dies with vampire blood in her system in the season 3 finale and she completes the transition in the season 4 premier becoming a vampire.
Grayson & Miranda Gilbert
Grayson Gilbert & Miranda Sommers Gilbert
Portrayed: by Jason Macdonald and Erin BeuteGrayson and Miranda were Elena and Jeremy's mom and dad. Grayson was also John Gilbert's older brother and the town doctor of Mystic Falls.Grayson and Miranda were both members of the Town Council and thus knew about vampires.Grayson and Miranda were both killed in a car accident going off Wickery Bridge before the start of the series. It's later revealed that Grayson and Miranda were actually Elena's biological uncle and aunt making Jeremy her cousin.
- Birds of a Feather: Miranda was this with Kelly Donovan and Liz Forbes when she was alive.
- Dark and Troubled Past: In season 5, Grayson is revealed to have been apart of the Augustine Society and participated in the torture and experimentation on vampires.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Grayson gestures to Stefan to rescue Elena instead of himself when they are drowning underwater when the car crashed resulting in his death as Stefan only had enough time to save one of them.
- Posthumous Characters: Before the beginning of the series, Grayson and Miranda drowned after their car fell off of Wickery Bridge and into the lake.
- Secret Keepers: As members of the council they knew of the existence of vampires and the supernatural and kept the information secret from their children and the town.
Portrayed: by Joe KnezevichElena and Jeremy's ancestor who was part of the vampire round up in Mystic Falls in 1864.
- Knight Templar: He was a member of one of the Founding Families that hunted vampires along with Giuseppe Salvatore and Barnette Lockwood.
- Mad Scientist: He invented the Gilbert device, the Gilbert rings, and the Gilbert compass. Though they were actually just spelled by Emily.
- Posthumous Character: Has been dead for centuries.
- Sanity Slippage: Driven insane by the Gilbert ring.
Sheila 'Grams' Bennett
Portrayed by: Jasmine Guy
"I am not Bonnie. You don`t wanna mess with me."
- Cool Teacher: She taught at Whitmore before she died.
- Killed Off for Real: The effort for breaking the spell sealing the vampires in the tomb to release Stefan and Damon had greatly weakened her. She died not much time later.
- The Mentor: to Bonnie.
- Never Mess with Granny: Look at the quote.
- Sassy Black Woman: She was very strong-willed.
Portrayed by: Persia White
"Your grams is way better at this stuff than I am."
- Black Best Friend: To Elenaís mother, Miranda.
- Hot Witch: Used to be this before Damon turned her into a vampire.
- Missing Mom: To Bonnie.
- Neck Snap: How Damon kills her and she transitions into a vampire.
- Parental Abandonment: She abandoned Bonnie when Mikael came to town many years ago and imprisoning him takes away all her magic resulting in her never going back to her family.
Portrayed by Rick WorthyRudy Hopkins was the mayor of Mystic Falls, the ex-husband of Abby Bennett Wilson and the father of Bonnie Bennett.
- Bald of Awesome: Well he's bald.
- Call-Back: He later goes through with Bill Forbes's plan of putting vervain in the water supply.
- The Ghost: Spends three and a half seasons being unseen until season 4.
- Killed Off for Real: By Silas who slits his throat.
- Locked Out of the Loop: Just like her friends, he was unaware that Bonnie was dead as Jeremy was sending texts and messages to make it look like she was still alive. He was still unaware at the moment of his death.
- Overprotective Dad: The moment he arrives in town and becomes mayor, he attempts to keep Bonnie away from her vampire friends and stop her from using magic even to help them. Though justified by the fact that he didn't want her to get killed by vampires and he was afraid that her using magic would make her end up like her mother who lost her powers and eventually ended up getting turned into a vampire and abandoned her family before that because of her witch duties.
- Muggle: Minor human character on the show and died as a human as well without ever being turned into a vampire.
Sheriff Elizabeth 'Liz' Forbes
Portrayed by: Marguerite MacIntyreLiz was the sheriff of Mystic Falls and a member of the Founder's Council. She was the ex-wife of late fellow Founder's Council member Bill Forbes, who came out as being gay, and mother of Caroline. She initially struggled to accept Caroline's identity as a vampire given her prejudices, but in time she learned to love her daughter for who she is.
- Action Mom: She's a cop and an efficient vampire hunter.
- Accidental Murder: She accidentally killed Jeremy when she shoots at Damon and he dodges the bullet hitting Jeremy. Bonnie is forced to have the witch ancestors bring him back since Liz wasn't a supernatural creature meaning that the Gilbert ring wouldn't bring him back.
- Badass Normal: She is a human with no supernatural powers.
- Big Damn Heroes: When, in Season 3, Caroline is kidnapped and tortured by her father to try and suppress her vampirism, Liz (and Tyler) burst in and save the day.
- Heel Realization: She has this when she accidentally kills Jeremy when she was trying to kill Damon and after this she accepts Caroline for what she is.
- Incompatible Orientation: Bill Forbes, her husband and father to Caroline left her when he came out as a homosexual.
- Killed Off for Real: Succumbs to cancer in Season 6.
- Knight Templar: She was relentless in killing vampires and when finding out Damon and Caroline are vampires she tortures Damon to find out about the others and later attempts to kill Caroline.
- Knight Templar Parent: To Caroline.
- Mama Bear: Sheriff Forbes has a strained relationship with her daughter, but she cares for her well-being. When Caroline gets drunk at the Mystic Grill, she arrests the bartender for not checking the IDs properly (unaware that Lexi had used compulsion on him). She later fights against other supernatural creatures and will also cover up murders done by her vampire friends to protect her daughter.
- Odd Friendship: Has this with Damon before finding out he's a vampire and even after finding out Damon shows that he legitimately considers her his friend by not killing her like he did with her deputies. She generally starts seeing him as a friend when she accepts her daughter as a vampire and that not all vampires are evil and they later become best friends.
- Damon is also distraught when she dies from cancer and gives a eulogy at her funeral.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: When she was able to accept that her daughter Caroline is a vampire, she becomes this and by also helping the Salvatore brothers and her other friends with the supernatural problems of the town.
- Vampire Hunter: Used to be one.
- Villainous B.S.O.D.: The first time she finds out Caroline is a vampire
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: She is at first this when she is hunting and killing vampires because as far as she knew they were all evil and she was protecting the town by killing them before they can kill anyone else. This attitude towards vampires results in her trying to kill her own daughter when finding out she was turned into one.
Portrayed by: Jack ColemanWilliam "Bill" Forbes II was a Mystic Falls resident who returned to point out all the failings of the current Councilís attempts to keep vampires out of town, after discovering that his daughter, Caroline, is one of them.
- Badass Gay: He is a badass vampire hunter who came out to his family years ago.
- Badass Normal: He is a human with no supernatural powers, until he's murdered with the vampire blood still in his system. However he refuses to feed to complete the transition and dies.
- Death Equals Redemption: He accepts that Caroline is a vampire and spends his final moments with her as he is dying from not completing the transition.
- Face Death with Dignity: When killed with vampire blood in his system and left with the choice to either become a vampire or die, he chose the latter without hesitation, and uses his remaining time to reconcile with his daughter and ex-wife, waiting calmly for his death.
- Have I Mentioned I am Gay?: The only reason that we know that he is gay, is because people keep saying that he is, not because he ever kisses men or anything. Even then he only mentions his off-screen boyfriend once when Caroline asks about him.
- Hypocrite: He believes he can make Caroline change what she is, despite the fact that he is a homosexual. Weirdly enough, he also averts this trope regarding his conviction that vampirism and cheating death are wrong, as seen in the Face Death with Dignity entry.
- Immune to Mind Control: The only known human character so far who can actually No-Sell a vampire's compelling without relying on vervain.
- Incompatible Orientation: He left his wife Liz when he came out as a homosexual.
- Karmic Transformation: Subverted and defied; he is killed with vampire blood in his system, but refuses to complete his transformation and lets himself die instead.
- Killed Off for Real: By Alaric (while he was taken over by The Darkness), who stabbed him to death and cut his throat while having vampire blood in his system.
- Knight Templar: Remorseless in killing vampires and though he doesn't kill his daughter who became a vampire, he is willing to torture her to make her not be like other vampires.
- Knight Templar Parent: To Caroline.
- Straight Gay: He is not stereotypical and as stated the only reason you know he is gay is because the other characters talk about him being so and that he left Liz when he came out.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: He comes back to town when he finds out that Caroline is a vampire and his intention is to teach her how to control her vampire nature, but his methods on teaching her are to torture her with sunlight and starving her to force her to resist the temptation to feed off a people. Also like other members of the founding families he hunts and kills vampires to protect the town.
Portrayed by: Melinda Clarke.
- Alcoholic Parent: She spends most of her time getting drunk and partying and neglecting Matt because of this.
- Generation Xerox: She is basically an adult Vicki.
- Lady Drunk: Practically a poster child of this trope.
- Missing Mom: To Matt and Vicki.
- Mrs. Robinson: She made out with both Damon and Tyler.
- Put on a Bus: After a few episodes, Matt tells her to leave after she gets drunk and catching her hooking up with his friend Tyler.
- Wacky Parent, Serious Child: Played straight with Matt, averted with Vicki.
- Womanchild: Matt is more of a parent to her than she is to him.
Played By: Joel GretschPeter is Matt and Vicki Donavan's father and he abandoned his family a long time ago. He is shocked when Matt walks back into his life to reconnect ó and to drags him into a world of supernatural dangers.
- The Atoner: He is trying to make it up to Matt for abandoning him and the family years ago.
- Disappeared Dad: He abandoned his family when he left Mystic Falls years ago.
- Locked Out of the Loop: When he lived in Mystics Falls he was unaware of the existence of vampires and doesn't learn of this until Damon shows up.
- The Reveal: He is revealed to be Matt's father in his debut episode. This also makes him Vicki's father.
Mayor Richard Lockwood
Portrayed by: Robert Pralgo.
- Abusive Parents: To Tyler.
- Big Bad Duumvirate: With John Gilbert in season one. He was the leader of the Founders Counciel, but Gilbert was the Dragon-in-Chief
- Hair-Trigger Temper: Clearly Tyler inherited this trait from his father. Though, both having the werewolf gene doesn't hurt either.
- Jerkass: He has a temper and he openly flirts with other women despite being married.
- Karmic Death: Is trapped in a basement with vampires he helped trap. One of them breaks his neck.
- Killed Off for Real: Killed when a vampire snaps his neck.
- Knight Templar Parent: To Tyler.
- Meaningful Name: Richard , both in the fact that the family is a wealthy and he's a dick.
- Your Cheating Heart: Despite being married, he shamelessly flirts with Pearl.
"You know, if you`re going to bring a girl home I wish she`d have the tact not to sneak out like a prostitute."
Portrayed by: Susan Walters.
- Killed Off for Real: Carol is drowned by Klaus as revenge for Tyler's attempt to immobilize him.
- Rich Bitch: Especially in Season 1. She mellows out a little after Richard dies.
Portrayed by: Taylor Kinney
"Oh, what am I? I apologize. Iím an animal."
- Agent Scully: Plays up his reputation as a skeptic, but he knows for a fact that there's more out there.
- Annoying Younger Sibling: To Richard.
- Awakening the Sleeping Giant: When he was first confronted by Damon, he made it clear he had no intention of being the Salvatore's enemy and would rather mind his own business. Damon tried to kill him regardless, resulting in him actively trying to get the two brothers killed. Partially subverted when it's revealed he was working for Katherine anyway; his mission just didn't involve harming them.
- Back from the Dead: In season 3 he appears as a ghost to Damon in order to hurt him, but also help him find a way to defeat Klaus, in order to help his nephew, who Klaus turned into a hybrid.
- Blatant LiesTyler: Your eyes, they glowed... what was that?Mason: Reflection. Off car headlamps.
- Chick Magnet/The Casanova: According to Jenna.
- Cool Uncle: To Tyler. He is sexy, athletic and possesses an easygoing charm.
- Death Equals Redemption: He says this word for word.
- Dumb Muscle: He seems to have no idea that Katherine compelled his best friend to attack him and seemingly didn't know that he was compelled at all.
- Kick the Dog: While you can't really blame him for trying to get the Salvatore killed after Damon tried to kill him, he really had no good reason to threaten Caroline with revealing her vampiric nature to her mother.
- Killed Off for Real: By Damon.
- Love Makes You Dumb: He loved Katherine and had no idea she was just using him.
- Our Werewolves Are Different: The first werewolf character to be introduced in the show. He also serves as the example to establish how this universe's version of the werewolves work.