open/close all folders
Characters from deleted scenes.
Gerontius "The Old" Took
Gerontius "The Old" Took (Dan Hennah)
Patriarch of one of the two greatest Hobbit families and Thain of the Shire, the last (ceremonial) representative of the fallen Kings of Arnor. Grandfather of Bilbo and great-grandfather of Frodo.
- Badass Family: Clan-leader of an uncharacteristically adventurous hobbit family, he's Bilbo's grandfather.
- The Clan: The head of it, in fact.
- Creator Cameo: Played by Weta's Dan Hennah.
- Everyone Calls Him "Barkeep": No one calls him Gerontius, just The Old Took.
- Gag Nose: Sports the most ridiculously extreme nose in the movie — the special features reveal Peter Jackson did this deliberately as a joke on Dan Hennah.
- Happy Flashback: He appears in a very sweet scene added to special edition of An Expected Journey, which depicts a typically merry hobbit gathering.
- Posthumous Character: He's deceased long before The Hobbit takes place, at least by several decades.
- Spell My Name with a "The": A non-malevolent example, used out of respect.
Belladonna Took (Sonia Forbes-Adam)
One of the Old Took's four daughters and Bilbo's mother.
- Floral Theme Naming: Like most female hobbits, she's named after a flower. Despite the negative connotations of "deadly nightshade", the name is derived from the Italian for "beautiful woman".
- Good Parents: By all accounts, Bungo and Belladonna were very loving and attentive parents who raised Bilbo to be a strong-minded and compassionate person. Her willingness to accept a little bit of adventure in life also contributed to Bilbo's curiosity and thirst for exploration, something that Belladonna actively nurtured in him.
- Happy Flashback: Appears in the above mentioned flashback, where we see her gently admonish a very young Bilbo after he whacks Gandalf with his wooden sword. It's a sweet cameo, and nice to see she and Bilbo together in less troubled times.
- Posthumous Character: Whilst she appears in the flashback, mentioned above, by the time of the events depicted in the main story, she has been dead for around ten years.