Det. Kevin Corcoran (Tom Weston-Jones)
"Luck o' the Irish."
Robert Morehouse (Kyle Schmid)
"A commander always has a backup strategy."
Elizabeth Haverford (Anastasia Griffith)
"In times of war, only men choose sides. Women just want the ugliness to stop."
- The Chick
- Genre Blind: She is easily fooled by John Reilly and handed Annie back over to the man who stole her innocence in the first place. In contrast Corcoran and Francis can tell right away that there is something really fishy about the man. Later on she is fooled by Kennedy into thinking that the Confederate attack on New York would only destroy property and not actually try to burn the city to the ground.
- Silk Hiding Steel
- The Sixth Ranger
Dr. Matthew Freeman (Ato Essandoh)
"No man, black or white, is going to harm anyone in this orphanage tonight!"
- Beware the Nice Ones
- The Coroner: He acts as one for Corcoran on cases where Corcoran can not involve the official coroner. He will also do forensic work for Corcoran. He usually charges Corcoran $5.
- Hospital Hottie
- Fire-Forged Friends: With Morehouse and Corcoran.
- Papa Wolf: He rarely takes up violence but twice it was because of children. First to scare off some bigots plotting to burn an orphanage. Later when a snake-oil salesman sells his pregnant wife Sarah a bad tonic to cover morning sickness and Sarah is worse off than she was before.
- The Smart Guy
- Token Good Teammate: So far at least he appears to be the only genuinely decent person in the show.
Det. Francis Maguire (Kevin Ryan)
"I'm a damn good copper — probably the only thing I was ever good at."
Annie Riley (Kiara Glasco)
"Corky thinks I deserve a childhood, but I don't need one."
Brendan Donovan (Donal Logue)
- Big Bad: He is behind the murders Corcoran is investigating and plans to level Five Points to make way for his aqueduct
- Corrupt Corporate Executive: He runs a large construction company and has no qualms about using bribery, extortion and murder to get what he wants.
- Corrupt Politician: He is the Tammany Hall ward boss for Five Points
- Faux Affably Evil: The more we get to know him, the less affable he becomes. Out of the public eye he is a very nasty man.
- Four-Star Badass: He served as a general in the Union Army
- Self-Made Man: He was one of fourteen children of poor Irish immigrants and worked as a patrol cop for a while. He then worked his way up the political and business ladder and is now an important Tammany Hall politician and owns a large construction company.
- Villain with Good Publicity: He cultivates the public image of a respected politician and businessman who is always willing to help the people of Five Points.
Sarah Freeman (Tessa Thompson)
"That man Corcoran is evil!"
- Broken Bird: The constant threat of rape and racially motivated violence leaves her afraid to leave her house.
- Took a Level in Badass: She spent most of the first season so afraid she became a recluse. However, in the second season, after a conversation with Eva, she finally decides she's had enough and begins taking her life back. She shows this by storming out and (with the help of a few bystanders) knocking over the lamppost her brothers were lynched from.
Eva Heissen (Franka Potente)
"In my profession, one learns not to say what goes on between a man and a woman."
- Affably Evil
- Murder the Hypotenuse: Slit Molly's throat when she found out about her pleasuring Kevin.
- Nice Hat: Even in an era where most people wore hats her hats stands out, partly because it's a man's hat worn by a woman.
Andrew O'Brian (Dylan Taylor)
Sgt. Padraic Byrnes (David Keeley)
- Corrupt Cop: In contrast to Kevin he's pretty bad even by the standards of the NYPD.
- Foil: To Kevin and his men
- Killed Off for Real
- Too Dumb to Live: See a dead body with no obvious sign for the man's death and a half eaten fruit cake by him? What does he do? Eat the cake. Shame the thing was laced with poison.
Molly Stuart (Tanya Fischer)
Ellen Corcoran (Alex Paxton-Beesley)