Characters: Azure Striker Gunvolt
Characters in the series.
open/close all folders
"Give me power, Azure Striker, so I can strike down my enemies!"The Hero
is a 14-year-old boy nicknamed Gunvolt. His true name is unknown. He is initially associated with an armed resistance group called QUILL, who fights against the Sumeragi Group. He then leaves the group shortly after meeting Joule. Despite normally being cool-headed, his youthful rebelliousness comes out when he's forced to do things that go against his principles. His power, Azure Striker, allows him to control lightning.
"My songs will give you wings to fly."
The 13-year-old heroine. She is a psychic girl created in a lab operated by the Sumeragi Group. Her Muse ability allows her to enhance the powers of other psychics through song. After being rescued by GV from the Sumeragi Group, the two begin to live together.
- Artificial Human: She was created by Sumeragi.
- Brooding Boy, Gentle Girl: The gentle girl to Gunvolt's brooding boy.
- Damsel in Distress: Happens a lot.
- Death Seeker: When she first meets Gunvolt, she begs him to kill her, feeling tremendous guilt about having her powers used for evil.
- Fusion Dance: With Nova/Shiden during his boss fight and later with Gunvolt after they're both shot.
- Living MacGuffin: She is a vital part to Sumeragi's plans.
- Magic Music: Her songs can amplify the powers of Adepts and is rumored to be able to braninwash them. Sumeragi's plan is to use her songs to locate the worlds Adepts from their space station Firmament.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Has purple hair.
"Could you rescue this girl... my other me... from this place?"
Lumen is the top pop star of the country, promoted by the Sumeragi Group. She is, in fact, the avatar of Joule, given form by her Muse ability. Even as the Sumeragi Group promotes her as a star, they are using her as bait to find other psychics to capture and subjugate. Joule and Lumen inhabit different bodies. Unlike Joule, she has a strong personality and is very much a free spirit. Lumen claims she only reflects the person Joule wants to be deep inside.
QUILL is an armed resistance force founded by members of a foreign human rights organization to combat the increasingly radical measures being taken by the Sumeragi Group. Through guerrilla warfare and rescue operations involving psychics imprisoned within Sumeragi facilities, QUILL intends to eventually free all psychics from the clutch of Sumeragi.
"Your mission is to assassinate the virtual pop star Lumen. Good Luck."
Asimov is a team leader at QUILL and also one of the founding members. His is skilled marksman who is deadly with a sniper rifle. Although he displays no emotion in the line of duty, his passion for the group's cause is well known among the QUILL members who look up to him. Gunvolt owes his life to Asimov, who rescued the boy from a Sumeragi facility where he was put through horrifying experiments. To GV, Asimov is a savior, teacher, and father.
- Broken Pedestal: To say Gunvolt wasn't happy to know his idol is a genocidal maniac with a hate for humans would be an understatement.
- Cold Sniper/Friendly Sniper: His official artwork has him wielding a sniper rifle and on duty he displays no emotions.
- Cool Shades: Always wears his sunglasses. He takes them off for the final battle.
- Face-Heel Turn: Kills Gunvolt and Joule in the bad ending.
- Fantastic Racism: His true purpose for establishing QUILL and opposing Sumeragi? To wipe out the human species and create the world of adepts. Gunvolt is not happy to learn this.
- Foreshadowing: In the very first stage, Asimov advises Gunvolt about how Gunvolt should remember to recharge, to which Gunvolt replies that it is his power, not Asimov's. Gunvolt is wrong as Asimov is actually able to use the same power as him.
- Light Is Not Good: When his true colors are shown.
- Man in White: White hair and white clothing.
- Meaningful Name: In reference to Isaac Asimov, having raised Gunvolt whom commands electricity. Which keeps you from suspecting his true power.
- Mirror Match: In his boss fight, nearly every attack he has is comparable to one of Gunvolt's. Besides the Flashfield and Voltanic Chain attacks, he fires Copen's gun in three-round bursts (Cerberus), fires shots into the air that release more blasts in a spread (Orochi), and can fire rounds that alter their course (a mix of Vasuki and Mizuchi).
- Parental Substitute: A father figure for Gunvolt. Until his true colors are shown.
- Power Glows: When he activates his Azure Striker, complete with Expressive Hair
- Shock and Awe: Asimov's psychic power is Azure Striker, the same as Gunvolt himself, something that was foreshadowed in the first stage.
- True Final Boss: Only if you've collected the seven jewels.
- Walking Spoiler: If the spoiler tags were any indication.
- White Hair, Black Heart: When he reveals his true colors.
- Would Hit a Girl: Perfectly willing to shoot and almost kill Joule.
"Hey, if I had powers like yours, I'd be pretty unstoppable, too."
Zeno/Gino is the life of the party at QUILL. He loves anime, manga, and games. Gino tends to make frivolous jokes at the expense of others, but he does care for his colleagues even GV after he left QUILL.
- Badass: Though we don't get to see him in action, at one point he calls Gunvolt for backup while making a joking remark that he got nicked on his mission. Gunvolt notes that despite the jokes, Zeno's skills are the real deal and if any enemy is able to touch him then they should be taken completely seriously.
- Badass Normal: Has no psychic powers, but is just as skilled as Gunvolt on the field.
- Dub Name Change/Spell My Name with an "S": The English site spells it Gino while in-game text spells it Zeno.
- Life of the Party: He's a pretty cool guy and loves to make jokes.
- Multicolored Hair: Brown with an orange streak.
"Don't over do it, GV."
Moniqa/Monica is an operations officer at QUILL and one of few members who doesn't have psychic powers. She is like an older sister to GV and Zeno. Despite generally being a serious and highly capable officer, Monica has a clumsy side that reveals itself occasionally. She deeply admires Asimov.
A powerful conglomerate composed mostly of power companies, the Sumeragi Group is the sole supplier of the nation's energy needs and is also involved in media, space development, and military technology. They wield extraordinary influence in politics it is not an exaggeration to say that they are the de facto power in this country. The Sumeragi Group was the first to consider the potential energy use of psychic powers, and its technology in the field of psychic energy is the most advanced in the world. Today, only the Sumeragi Group owns the technology capable of controlling psychic powers.
- Mega Corp.: A conglomerate composed mostly of power companies, they are also involved with media, space development, and military tech.
- Playing with Syringes: Performs lots of inhuman experiments on adepts.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Apparently they're this. According to Nova, they want to keep Adepts under control for fear they'll rise up and destrof the world. Considering what happened with Asimov, he may have had a point...
Nova/Shiden, the Mighty
"How sad... another pathetic assault by QUILL?"
A small army of psychics and soldiers serves under this young, charismatic Sumeragi lieutenant. He leads a project that would give Sumeragi total control over all psychics, ostensibly for the safety and security of the nation. Nova/Shiden is an enigma who speaks in riddles and seems to generally look down on others. Not much is known about his psychic power, except that it is the most powerful among the Sumeragi psychics.
- A Child Shall Lead Them: Nova looks to be around Gunvolt's age and is a leader of the Sumeragi Group.
- Affably Evil/Faux Affably Evil: A mix of both. Despite being the leader of Sumeragi, Nova is infallibly polite to both subordinates and enemies alike. He's so polite that it's hard to tell how much is genuine and how much is fake.
- Authority Equals Asskicking: The leader of the group and the most powerful of them all.
- Badass: He may be no older than Gunvolt, but he's not to be taken lightly.
- Badass Longcoat: Much like Gunvolt, only his is black.
- Dragon-in-Chief: Merely one of Sumeragi's more dangerous members and not the head of it. His plans take center stage though, and he's the highest-ranking member seen.
- Dub Name Change: Nova in English; Shiden in Japanese.
- Fusion Dance: With Joulie during the final battle.
- Multicolored Hair: Purple with a white Skunk Stripe.
- One-Winged Angel: Transforms into a gigantic robot monstrosity after his first defeat.
- Red Baron: "The Mighty"
- Shonen Hair: Has spiky hair
- Villain Has a Point: After his final defeat, he states to Gunvolt that without Sumeragi to keep the adepts in line, nothing will prevent adepts from abusing their powers and destroying the world. He turns out to be right to a degree, if Asimov is any indication.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Has purple hair.
Seven psychics who had their psychic powers extracted into sword-shaped devices. Their swords which can be used remotely to control any unwanted bursts of power allow them to stay out of trouble and live ordinary lives. However, in cases of emergency, Sumeragi's monitoring facility gives them access to these swords and they fuse with them, triggering a transformation dubbed "weaponization."
Viper/Daytona, the Burning Wrath
"You're going the wrong way, man, Hell's this way!!"
Viper/Daytona patrols Sumeragi's chemical plant complex and possesses the psychic power "Explosion". Once a notorious gang leader, Viper/Daytona fell in love with Lumen's voice and enlisted as part of Sumeragi's private army.
He has the ability to compress thermal energy into small spheres called Angry Bombs that explode on impact. He can also coat his legs in flames and his sword of choice is "Lord of Fire".
Merak, the Slothful Conjurer
"Yes, yes, that's me. Brilliant, gifted commander Merak."
Merak is a psychic that commands Sumeragi's private army, and possesses the psychic ability "Wormhole". He has a sharp mind and is valued as a strategist by Shiden, but is also entirely apathetic, sometimes not even getting up when he's hit not that he has to, considering he rides an armoured chair, which he uses in tandem with his Wormhole ability. Merak uses the sword Unwavering Spirit.
- Brilliant but Lazy: Merak is ostensibly a talented strategist, but prefers napping to fighting. He doesn't even move when forced to fight; he just lets his hover chair and his portals do all the fighting for him.
- Cool Chair: Has a hover chair with weapons.
- Curtains Match The Windows: Blue hair and blue eyes in his weaponized form. Averted for his normal form, which has brown hair.
- Frickin' Laser Beams: His special attack that he sends through multiple wormholes to cover most the screen.
- Headphones Equal Isolation: In his human form, most likely to drive the point home about his apathetic nature.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: You can actually shoot into his own portals to hit him during his boss battles. How useful this may actually be may vary.
- Informed Ability: He is supposedly very smart and acts as a strategist for Sumeragi, but we never see him use this ability.
- Megaton Rocket Punch: One of his attacks that he sends through wormholes.
- Red Baron: "The Slothful Conjurer"
- Thinking Up Portals: He can create wormholes with his power.
Elise, the Eternal Envy
"Im sorry... So sorry..."
Elise was a Swordswoman being held prisoner by Sumeragi. She possesses the ultimate psychic power "Rebirth," the ability to manipulate the soul into spinning out life for eternity. Sumeragi were attempting to implant Elise's brain with a more aggressive persona that ended up taking control of her original, weak-willed persona.
Unfortunately, Sumeragi were unable to contain her power, triggering a rampage that leveled the research facility she was being held at. Elise uses the "Living Blade" as her sword of choice, and controls "vipers" that she can shape into daggers. After being thrown, she can make them come back to life as zombies.
- Animal Motifs: Snakes.
- Apologetic Attacker: Her weak-willed personality, both to her other self and to you.
- Axe Crazy: Her alternate personalities, especially the third one that appears in the rematch. This is even shown in gameplay when she uses Resurrection on the other two when they die: While the original two spell it correctly and have it in all caps ("RESURRECTION") with a nice little chant beforehand like the other bosses, the third Elise not only spells it like a glitchy mess while shifting between lowercase and uppercase letters ("ReSURrexIOnnN"), the chant is replaced with her saying "Die" over and over..
- Be Careful What You Wish For: The research facility that performed experiments on her wanted to know the secret behind her resurrection powers. After going berserk, she used said power to turn all the research personnel into zombies.
- Dual Boss: Later becomes a Triple Boss, though the third one can't actually be hurt.
- Flechette Storm: Throws knives that turn into snakes.
- Literal Split Personality: Her power lets her create a second self. It's later revealed that the two of them were hiding a third personality.
- Ms. Fanservice: If her weaponized appearance wasn't enough for you, how about the fact that the way she slings herself on the poles makes her look like she's pole dancing?
- Purple Is Powerful: She wears purple while weaponized (and has purple eyes), and she's definitely no slouch.
- Red Baron: "The Eternal Envy"
- Taken for Granite: Has a petrifying gaze as an attack.
- Shrinking Violet: Her more timid personality.
- The Smurfette Principle: Elise is the only female boss (unless you count Lumen while Nova is controlling her), though to be fair, you're facing "two" and later "three" of her.
- Supernatural Is Purple: Purple eyes and armor, and her Septima can make someone immortal, bring someone back to life, or turn them into zombies.
- Whip It Good: She also uses them to travel pole to pole in her stage.
Stratos, the Gluttonous Fly
"Hungry... I'm so... hungry!"
Stratos is a Swordsman that is held prisoner by Sumeragi. Prior to his capture, he was a handsome, popular man, although no trace of this man remains today. Stratos possesses the "Fly" ability and is capable of turning his flesh into fly-shaped particles of energy that can dismantle any matter and incorporate it into his body.
Repeated experimentation on Stratos has caused his powers to become too powerful for even his Sword, "Lizardslayer," to control. The only thing that keeps him in check is a special drug called S.E.E.D., extracted from the experimental plant ViVid.
- AxCrazy: Noticeably the least stable member of Sumeragi.
- Flies Equals Evil: Summons and creates flies from his body that attack friend or foe.
- Horror Hunger: See quote.
- Power Limiter: Other than his sword, he takes a drug called S.E.E.D. that suppresses his psychic powers.
- Raymanian Limbs: When transformed. His limbs and torso are replaced by some yellow fire-like substance, on which pieces of armor are affixed.
- Red Baron: "The Gluttonous Fly"
Zonda/Panthera, the Lustful Mirage
"War, like love, is inescapable."
Zonda is another psychic in Sumeragi's Psychic Hunter Unit. Zonda possesses the psychic ability "Mirror," and uses the sword "Crow Child." Zonda's age, gender and background are all shrouded in mystery. Even among Sumeragi's top brass, very few know anything about Zonda. Even less is known about Zonda's Mirror ability, often reputed to be some sort of illusion-based power. Zonda is among Sumeragi's most powerful psychics, and it is said to be as powerful as Gunvolt and Nova/Shiden.
Carrera, the Magnetic Avarice
"Your lightning is no match for my magnetism!"
Carrera is a psychic in Sumeragi's Psychic Hunter Unit and possesses the psychic ability "Magnetic Arts". He's described as a "pure fighter" who joined the unit simply for the chance to battle powerful psychics. He has a habit of speaking very formally, and mentions "strength" and "battles against titans" in just about every conversation. Carrera uses the Magnetic Arts ability to produce a special magnetic field that attracts other psychics. This field also has the effect of temporarily blocking the use of psychic abilities. Naturally, this is a quality that Sumeragi prizes highly, as it makes capturing psychics all the easier. His sword of choice is named "Rockslicer."
Jota/Iota, The Prideful Silhouette
"I am one with the light!"
Iota is a psychic who protects the massive Sumeragi communications tower, Amaterasu. He possesses the psychic ability "Lightspeed". A former soldier, Iota left the military under the belief that serving Sumeragi was the only way to truly bring peace and stability to his country. His sword of choice is the "Shadow Dragon."
Copen/Acura "The Avenger", The Psychic Slayer
"I've come here to deliver your sentence... Azure Striker!"
Copen feels that, left unchecked, Psychics are a threat that will eventually subjugate anyone that doesn't have their powers, and has made it his mission to destroy them. He has no powers of his own, but his scientific mind is on par with Sumeragi's best scientists.
- Bait-and-Switch Boss: He's been both the giver and the receiver of this. In the actual game, he overrides Zonda as the boss of Sinner's Row. In Mighty Gunvolt, he appears at the start of the Mirror stage, but Zonda gets a little payback and knocks him out, becoming the Final Boss.
- Dub Name Change: Copen in English; Acura in Japanese.
- Gadgeteer Genius/Teen Genius
- Fantastic Racism: Hates Adepts to Idiot Ball levels; he wants to stop Sumeragi, but tries to kill GV, potentially his greatest ally, twice.
- Justified. The side story "Fleeting Memories" reveals that his father was killed by a vengeful Azure Striker, implied to be Asimov.
- In the Hood
- Killed Off for Real: It's implied Asimov killed him and took his power-sapping gun.
- Laser-Guided Karma: At the end of Mighty Gunvolt, Copen seems to be the final boss, but Zonda jumps in, knocks him out, and becomes the boss instead, possibly in retaliation for being demoted to The Unfought by Copen in the actual game.
- Luckily My Shield Will Protect Me
- Mix-and-Match Weapon: A shield that can turn into a bow and replicate Septima powers. How about that?
- Power Copying: Is able to copy/replicate the psychic abilities of the Seven Swordsmen using his high-tech equipment.
- Revenge: His motivation is to avenge his father, Dr. Kamizono.
- Revolvers Are Just Better: Has a revolver, it can shoot normal bullets and power nullifying Greed Snatcher shots. Depending on your ammo for Dart Leader, you can Shoot the Bullet for his regular shots.
- Shield Bash: One of his attacks.
- The Hunter: Hunts down and kills psychics.
- The Rival: Is featured as the main rival of Gunvolt.