Awesome: Alex Verus
- A meta one. Jim Butcher has been quoted as saying that Harry Dresden would admire the protagonist and be rather scared of him.
- Luna gets one at the end of the first book when she manages to temporary alter her curse to help Alex overcome the Fateweaver.
- And then she gets another when in Chosen, when she saves Alex's life (after his own extensive but ultimately failed effort at defending himself), and she knows it, too:
Luna: So now do I get to be the master and you have to do what I say?
- In Cursed, it is of note that Arachne is friends with a dragon... the size of a mountain range.
- In the same book, Alex defeats the Villain of the Week by using the gate stone said dragon gave him to gate himself and the villain in front of the dragon, who then punches said villain flat with a fist the size of a skyscraper in a beautiful inversion of Summon Bigger Fish.
- Alex is generally looked down on for being a diviner. In Hidden, he fights a Life mage. He wins with much guile. Later, that same Life mage stands in his way. Her reaction to realizing whom she is meant to stop?
Life mage: Nope. Not doing this again. *runs away*
- During the climax of Veiled we finally get to see exactly what Alex means when he says that elemental mages outclass him because there's about a dozen battle mages assaulting a stronghold, one of them Variam's new Master Landis. And yet, Alex still manages to sway the tide of the battle via quick thinking.