MUNKY NOT TRUKK!! Let's Watch Beast Wars!
- Page: 31
203 - Coming of the Fuzors, Part 2
The Maximals open fire on the Predacons, but immediately run out of ammo. Now, I should complain it makes no sense, as Dinobot as two full bandoliers, and Rhinox has not used his guns at all before this, and the Predacons have shot WAY more, but the following scene again does the western thing, so running out ammo makes sense in a Spaghetti Western way. However what I will complain about is Megatron insisting to take his time to move closer and enjoy this victory when he said earlier he wanted this done quickly and business before pleasure! The art direction though as the Predacons prepare to finish the Maximals is awesome. The image, which you can see, of the Predacons against the sun is AWESOME. With the music and the Maximals' resignation to their fate, it gives great tension, making one almost believe this could be the end... But it's only the third episode, it can't be. The side of the ship explode, as all stand in awe, Rhinox explaining "It worked".
"That's just Prime."Transmetal Optimus Primal stands there, a shield in hand. He deflects the Predacons' gunfire then retaliates with his own new form's very impressive weapon's array. I do have to ask why did Optimus explode his own base, the bridge, which he was on, has a roof hatch and elevators. Guess he always wanted to be the Kool-Aid Man. Optimus' newer More Dakka form disperses the Predacons, and he switches to his beast mode's flight mode - a gorilla on a hoverboard. Megatron flies after him, while Silverbolt bolts out of the base. Optimus lands between Blender Butt, Tarantulas and Quickstrike. Blender Butt takes a shot, but Optimus ducks, and the missiles curves (?) to hit and detonate on Quickstrike and Tarantulas. Optimus and Blender Butt have an old fashioned duel, which Optimus wins, but Megatron is about to shoot Optimus in the back, till Silverbolt swoops and kicks Megatron off a cliff, telling him he can consider this his official resignation. He knows now he belongs with the Maximal, and Optimus approves of his resume. The Maximals come out of CR. We learn Energon Build up is no longer an issue, as most of the Energon was detonated or stabilized into cubes by the Planet Buster. Optimus plans to catchup, and have Rattrap move his junk out of his quarters. Megatron surveys the damages Dinobot has gone, talking with Blackarachnia to get her version of things (It's not cleared how she convinced him to not kill her for the betrayals). He muses:
"Well, we enter a new phase of the Beast Wars then. Future development should prove very interesting."Secretly, Blackarachnia agrees, as the Golden Disks data displays in her eyes.
While Aftermath was a toy commercial masquerading as an episode, Coming of the Fuzors is the true opener for season 2, as far as I am concerned. And it is VERY good. Some great direction, great moments, sets up a TON of stuff. It introduces new character, but doesn't make them steal the show. Part 2, despite being 90% one long fight scene, is very good (despite some small continuity and logic issues). The episodes' occasional western homages work VERY well, and are absolutely well made, making Megatron's final line sound like a promise. My biggest complaint is that the explanation and technobabble for Optimus' resurrection is bad and lacking. We are told Rhinox used a hole in Transwarp to go to the "Other side of the Matrix". Now, we know eventually Matrix = Transformer Heaven, and thus we can assumed he went there to find Optimus' spark. But the show's never firmly established that yet. Worse, for old fans, the Matrix means something COMPLETELY different (a physical object). So this leaves us with a lacking impression of "Rhinox did stuff... and Optimus is back." But even this complaint doesn't stop the episode from ranking very highly with me, easily dwarfing the forgettable Aftermath.
- Optimus is the first Transformer that breaks the Transmetalization rule we saw last time: Though he is one of the originals, his body is a new one, from a pod. Furthermore, his body would've transmetalized before his spark entered it (since the wave hit at least 2 days prior). Optimus' gorilla mode despite never scanning one probably comes from Rhinox having uploaded his old body's specs in the Protoform prior to going on his mystical trip. It would also explain how in Beast Machines Optimus could be reverted to his body's original pre-transmetal form.
- Silverbolt has the honor of being the only Maximal who never directly hurts Waspinator in the entire series. Closest he ever gets is when Waspinator is damaged by being rammed by a vehicle Silverbolt was in, but not piloting at the time.
- Megatron's rubber ducky makes its first appearance in his hoard of stuff Blackarachnia is looking through.
- The script had a reason for Optimus to shoot his way out of the ship: The elevators were to be destroyed. But that doesn't explain him not using the roof hatch.
- It's likely Tarantulas realizes Blackarachnia lied to him, as the excuse she gives him (Computer destroyed by booby trap) and that she gives Megatron (Destroyed by Dinobot) are different, and Megatron has him double check the computer's remains. This will play in a later episode.
- Based on the sound, it is Waspinator who shot Dinobot in the crotch when he ran out of ammo. Pay back for the Golden Disks incident!
- Originally, Hasbro (Via Kenner) wanted Inferno's toy to become the new Megatron. Those plans were scrapped. Ironically, as part of a gag this episode, Inferno and Megatron end up swapping heads.
- Most of the Transmetal toys lacked guns, having melee weapons instead. So the animators had to creatively interpret the toys to give them some. This isn't new, as Rhinox' chainguns are actually a spinning saw with flails on the toy (hence the flail heads on them) among other examples of added or modified weapons. For the transmetals, this became:
- Optimus' maces and entire back section were interpreted as a portable weapons emplacement with a rig like on a Steadicam. His toy could actually do this, despite not appearing on the manual. Funny thing is, Optimus is one of the few Transmetals with a gun: his silly megaphone-like pistol he uses during the duel. But the bigger gun is more interesting (and a clever use of the toy's kibble).
- Megatron's tail/claw weapon turning into a BFG, his beast mode hands becoming shoulder guns.
- Tarantulas' spots on his shoulders becoming missiles. His saw blade weapon becoming a strange pistol that shoots energy from a disk.
- Cheetor shooting energy out of his terrible pseudo-hand/beast mode head. BTW, why is Cheetor losing proper opposable digits considered an improvement? "Congratulations Cheetor, you can now fly. However you will fail at most basic hand dexterity tasks."
- Rattrap kept his original form's gun, only with a new color scheme.
- For irony: Waspinator's Transmetal toy HAS a rifle, yet Waspinator is one of the few characters to not go Transmetal.
Rubber ducky, you're the one~ : D
- Page: 31