Here is the text of the greeting:
Hello, and welcome to Image Pickin'! This is the forum for all issues regarding images used on the wiki.
The first thing you'll need to know is that we have some pretty definitive criteria for what constitutes a "good" image. How To Pick A Good Image
, Image Pickin' thread criteria
, and Image Pickin' Etiquette
are where the guidelines are spelled out in detail, so make sure you check them out. Here are some quick starting points:
- Threads tend to come in three flavors: asking to remove a image (the most common), suggesting a replacement image, or suggesting an image for a page that doesn't have one.
- The most central guideline is that for an image to be used on a trope page, it must demonstrate the trope as clearly as possible; exceptions exist but are very rare. The vast majority of threads in IP deal with trope pages.
- Work pages generally use cover art, title screens, posters, and the like.
- The following are not allowed for use: NSFW pics, spoilers, watermarked pics, and almost all meme-based pics (demotivators, LOL Cats, etc.)
When you're looking through threads in IP, you'll see that we have a number of features which are also used in Trope Repair Shop but don't show up in other subforums, and set procedures for how we process threads. First, the features:
- Crowners — These are polls at the bottom of threads where suggested pics are voted on. They generally run for 3-7 days, and the winning image is used for the page. Threads marked with a medal icon in the thread list have a crowner attached, or "hooked".
- Clocks — A thread with a clock has a 3-day deadline to produce results of some sort or the thread will be locked. Clocked threads show up with a clock icon and the deadline date in the thread list.
- Final work — A thread with a big yellow asterisk in the list is in the final stages of its process and is needing some work performed before closing the thread.
- Once someone creates a thread, a motion to do something with the image currently on the page is made (usually to remove it; this list will assume that's the case). A simple majority of votes after 24 hours determines if the motion is performed or not.
- If/when the motion passes and the image is removed, images are suggested to replace it. If one suggestion is heavily favored, it can be put on the page without a crowner; otherwise a crowner is created and hooked to the thread.
- Once the crowner finishes and an image is selected, it's added to the page along with a pothole to the work it's from, a caption (if one is suggested), and a hidden link to the IP thread, which is then closed. Many times other images suggested in the discussion are then placed on an Image Links page for the thread.
- Sometimes threads end up deciding to leave a page without a pic for whatever reason, or end up being locked due to sitting for too long without producing results.
- IP threads are not final, in the sense that if you find an image that works better than what the thread decides on, you're allowed to start a new thread for the page. However, "griefing" (arguing a thread's results just because you didn't like how it turned out) is not tolerated.
If you've been in Image Pickin' before and are wondering why you're getting this message: The tracking history for the system that generates the "welcome" P Ms
for each forum starts with its implementation, so if you visited before then, it sees you as a newcomer to the forum.
If you have any questions, feel free to ask; we're not shy and will be glad to help you out. Have fun!