Created By: KingZeal on March 10, 2013
In Shintoism, it is believed that every person, place and thing has a soul. Furthermore, those souls can be broken into four distinct parts. The soul itself is always comprised of each of these spirits, but which side is in control at the moment depends on external factors. The four spirits are as follows:
- The negi-mitama (harmonious soul) is a soul's natural state--the way a being behaves when things are calm and relaxed.
- The ara-mitama (harsh soul) is the counterpart to the negi and it is driven by pure savage and violent instinct. People tap into it whenever they are faced with adversity or a dire threat.
- The saki-mitama (happy soul) is loosely defined as prosperity and good luck. It's also considered one of the negi-mitama's secondary functions.
- The kushi-mitama (wondrous soul) is the counterpart to the saki-mitama and is prosperity itself. It causes various transformations and cures wounds and illness. Like the saki-mitama, some consider it another function of the negi-mitama.
- Word of God says that Bleach is built around the principles of Shintoism. Tite Kubo designed plus, hollow, and shinigami souls around the concepts of the negi-mitama, ara-mitama, and saki-mitama (with the shingami's Empathic Weapons possibly being the kushi-mitama). This is made most apparent with Ichigo, who has been ALL of the aforementioned spirits at one point or another. Hollow Ichigo has even directly stated that he is Ichigo's pure instincts.
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.