Patchwork Level YKTTW Discussion
A level made out of segments of earlier levels.Motion To Discard Already have? Needs Examples
Do We Have This One?? Needs More Examples You use the Cosmic Keystone and step into the Very Definitely Final Dungeon, but - what? The patches of grass from the starting level? The floating ruins from before? Just what's going on here? A Patchwork Level is a level that is made - mostly, if not all - of parts of an earlier one. May also be part of a boss fight. Sister Trope to Patchwork Map. Compare All the Worlds Are a Stage.
- Aria Of Sorrow. The Chaotic Realm utilizes segments from almost all previous areas of Dracula's Castle.
- End of the World, the final level of Kingdom Hearts, is the amalgamation of the fragments of the worlds the Heartless have submerged in darkness. It features the World Terminus, where Sora, Donald, and Goofy battle through all of the worlds previously visited (this is presumably how Heartless accessed these worlds in the first place), as well as the Volcanic Crater, a corridor made up of worlds taken before the events of the first game. At the end of the world, the player finds themselves in a room known as Homecoming. This is the remains of Destiny Islands, and the location of the final battle.
- The Final Boss Xion in Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days does a variation of this by taking you to a number of previously visited locations during the fight.
- Chapter 9 and 10 of Bayonetta are made like this: you are send to Paradiso and go through various big platforms floating in the golden sky - with an ever changing gravity. If you look carefully, you realize that these platforms are actually fragments of previous levels (notably the Introduction and chapter 1, 2 and 5)
- Chrono Trigger:
- The final boss switches between the eras. (Not an example? Odd?)
- The Vortexes are made up of segments of other levels, along with a very few new ones.
- Chrono Trigger Crimson Echoes: The final dungeon is comprised of flashes to previous scenes, mostly disconnected.
- Chrono Cross: The Dragon God phases through the different Dragon Islands in its boss fight.
- The Cleft of Dimension from Final Fantasy V is composed of various levels that were sucked into the void during the game.
- End of the World from Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) involves the playable cast (barring Sonic, who is dead at the moment and Blaze, who sealed herself in another dimension) traversing through nightmarish versions of all the previous levels (excluding Radical Train and Aquatic Base) in search of the Chaos Emeralds.
- Sonic Generations is an entire patchwork game, involving Sonic traveling through his past adventures, but the final boss doesn't count. It's really the only original element of the game.
- One of the final levels in Kirby's Adventure mixes this with Nostalgia Level. It's made up of segments of all four levels from Kirby's Dream Land.
- The race with Velo in Crash Nitro Kart takes place in "Hyper Spaceway", which starts in Velo's colosseum, then warps through the four planets in the game, before going back to the colosseum.