Final Glance Around YKTTW Discussion
|Final Glance Around|
When a character leaves, but looks around before they doNeeds Examples Description Needs Help Better Name
Jill has lived in her home for many years, perhaps even growing up there. But, unfortunately, plot happens, forcing Jill to leave her home, and she may not see it again. Maybe its burning down, or perhaps the change is political. Regardless, as Jill is leaving she will take a moment to glance around, saying goodbye to her home, her possessions, and/or her past. She is being forced along by what is, but in this brief moment she clings to what was one final time. And then she leaves. Frequently followed by Watching Troy Burn. Sometimes people will say goodbye to someone as well, especially with Dads who are disappearing. Frequently blended with Affectionate Gesture to the Head.
- In the last episode of Azumanga Daioh, as the girls are leaving the school for the last time, Chiyo-chan takes one last look back at it and bows.
- A Tree Grows in Brooklyn ends this way.
- In The Lord of the Rings:The Fellowship of the Ring. Before Frodo leaves Bag End he wanders around the familiar rooms. He later says "Goodbye!" and waves his hand to the dark blank windows while standing outside it.
- Mentioned at the end of a couple of the Gor books. Tarl looks back to see the terrain, because his Friend of the Book has taught him that a native looks back on his journey every once in a while to see what it will look like on his return journey - even though Tarl knows that he won't be coming back there.
- The film of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows has a scene similar to this when Harry and Hermione leave their respective homes.
- In the film of Eragon, when Eragon and Brom are fleeing, Eragon pauses and looks back at his burning house one last time.
- In The Day After Tomorrow, the president takes one last look around the Oval Office before evacuating to Mexico.
- In James Bond Skyfall, 007 takes one last look at his childhood home before it explodes in flames. Then he does it again two minutes later, Watching Troy Burn from a little further away and not inside it this time, but on the moor just as Silva catches him.
- At the end of Toy Story, Andy's Mom shouts "Bye, House!" as she and Andy leave to move to another house.
- In Our Town Emily is dying and has a famous monologue that includes her saying Good-bye to quite a number of things.
- In Doctor Who episode "Closing Time", the Doctor beleives he is going to his death. Before he goes, he stops and says goodbye to a group of random children.
- In the next episode, "The Wedding of River Song", the Doctor glances around the Tardis as he resolves himself to face his death.
- On the final episode of ALF, the title character takes one last look around the Tanner family's house before leaving with them to go get picked up by his Melmacian friends
- Friends does this in its final episode.
- Mass Effect: If Shepard romanced a squadmate in the first game but not the second, before leaving for the Omega 4 Relay in Mass Effect 2 s/he'll spend a long moment looking at the photo on his/her desk of his/her lover from Mass Effect 1.
- Played for Laughs in Futurama - Played for Laughs when Farnsworth's about to be taken away by the "Sunset Squad" to a compulsory retirement home.:
Farnsworth: Goodbye cruel world! Goodbye cruel lamp! Goodbye cruel velvet drapes with the cute little curtain-pull cords, cruel though they may be I... *Sunset Squad robot gives up waiting and knocks him out*
- In the episode "A Necessary Bond" of Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Hondo and his pirate gang are forced off their planet by General Grievous. Hondo is the last of the evacuating pirates to get off his bike, and makes sure to shut it down properly before making his way to the ship.
- Ends up being a subversion, though. His next appearance in the show's chronology has them back their base.
- Jonny Quest episode "Attack of the Tree People". A fire accidentally starts aboard Dr. Quest's boat Sea Quest, requiring the protagonists to abandon ship. Before going overboard, Dr. Quest says "I'll miss you, old friend" to the boat. Moments later it explodes.
- In Batman: The Animated Series, "Over the Edge", when Bruce Wayne has to flee from Wayne Manor, possibly forever. He looks at the painting of his parents and says "I'm sorry." He doesn't spare a second thought for any of his many possessions.
- In one episode of Billy And Mandy, the idiot Billy says good-bye to various features of the house, licking each one. Grimm has to advise him against licking the wall socket.
Billy: Good bye inch-and-a-quarter molding. *licks*
- In the SpongeBob SquarePants episode "Home Sweet Pineapple", SpongeBob says goodbye to the spot where his pineapple house once stood before it was eaten by nematodes. Subverted, as a tear that he sheds upon doing so allows a pineapple seed that he unknowingly planted to sprout and grow a new pineapple for him.