DiscardedYKTTW Fighter Archetypes YKTTW Discussion
Index of fighter archetype tropes (offense vs. defense, power vs. speed).Motion To Discard
Regarding combat ability, sometimes you just can't have it all, and you have to choose one ability over another. There may actually be a good reason why, as increasing one ability may decrease another. In video games, characters are specifically given different strengths and weaknesses as a form of Competitive Balance. There are four basic combat abilities, with two being diametrically opposed to the other two.
- Offense: How effective a character/machine is in striking the target.
- Defense: How effective a character/machine is in surviving an attack.
- Power: How much physical power a character/machine has
- Offensive: how hard they can strike the target using their strength
- Defensive: how much damage they can physically withstand via the durability of their body or armor.
- Speed: How fast a character/machine can move, either referring to general mobility but also
- Offensive: how fast they can strike the target (before it can react) and how much they can strike the target in a given amount of time
- Defensive: being fast enough to avoid an opponent's strikes
- Offensive Power vs. Defensive Power
- Speed vs. Power
- Lightning Bruiser (high everything)