- Rolling Updates
- Seen This So Many Freaking Times, I've Lost Track Of Them All! I KNOW I've left out some very important examples, so feel free to remind me.
- Needs More Non-Fanfic Examples
- Is this ready for launch?
"Take a good look at your story. Why do you think a rape is what you need for it to progress? Is there something else that could fill the same function? Unless you have a damn good reason to include rape in a story, you probably shouldn’t."Gratuitous Rape is Exactly What It Says on the Tin - a pointless rape scene usually happening for little to no reason. Did the Big Bad defeat The Hero? Rape. Did a whole bunch of Mooks gang up on The Hero at once? Rape. Does the angsty Lancer have childhood issues? It was because he was raped. Is The Hero going up against a foe that has Mind Manipulation powers? Mind Rape THEN rape. Did The Hero defeat the Big Bad? Rape - Wait, WHAT?! There are many guesses as to why Gratuitous Rape is used so much. To name a few, rape makes for good drama, it can show the Big Bad as very, very, evil, or it can be used for just plain ol' Fanservice. What some creators forget, however, is that rape is a sensitive subject and therefore rape scenes should be handled with care. When unskilled hands insist on shoehorning rape somewhere into their work, THIS happens. This is a common cliche in Fan Works, but professional works are no stranger to it, either. A good indicator as to whether or not rape is ensuing is if:
--Rachael Edidin, InsideOut
- The rape scene(s) can be taken out entirely and not affect the plot
- The plot actually makes more sense if the rape scene(s) is replaced by something else (i.e. torture, or just Killing Him Already). This one is usually apparent from the Fridge Logic it causes.
- The rape scene(s) relies on Bad Writing tropes such as Character Derailment (the Big Bad just forgets his usual modus operandi of killing quickly and efficiently and just rapes everything that has an orfice) or an Idiot Plot (the Mooks stop to rape a wounded hero as they are being shot at by the other heroes).
- Sleez forcing a mind-controlled Big Barda to star in porn movies in Action Comics #593. He almost did it to Superman, too.
- Agony In Pink mainly focused on Gorn, but this eventually happened, too.
- In the old version of "A Sorceror, a Demon, and Emeralds," a corrupted Sonic rapes anything that's not nailed down. Including Robotnik.
- The sex scenes in For Your Eyes Only are mostly this. To add insult to injury, it's portrayed as "cute."
- The titular character is (very briefly) raped by orcs in legolas by laura. At the end of the story, Legolas reveals that he was, too.
Snap Snoop SnakeSnape's attempts to raprape Draco in My Immortal
- Most of the fics by the infamous So Bad, It's Good Gundam Wing author Sephiroth. Her most famous one is about a panther raping Duo and him giving birth to catgirls.
- Pretty much everything by PRED. But one would expect this from a guy that likes to call himself "The World's Biggest Misogynist."
- Some Fan Fics pretty much ARE this trope:
- As one might expect, this is a common staple in porn and Exploitation Films
- The alien parasite showing a drill/tentacle-like appendage up the heroine's vagina in the theatrical version of Meatball Machine. This scene was not in the original independent film.
- In Showgirls, Molly is beaten and raped by her client...just before she was about to have consensual sex with him! One could guess that raping was his kink, but it still came right out of nowhere.
- The infamous "snowman rape scene" from the Slasher Movie Jack Frost. Jack brutally kills everybody else but stops to rape the teenage girl taking a bath.
- The rapes in The Hills Have Eyes.
- FATAL gives players plenty of opportunities to engage in this, since rape is usually not even considered a crime in its universe.
- Lampshaded in Something*Positive. Davan sends a rejection letter to the writer of a bad play which reads "A better title for your play would be 'Rape-Rape: A Tale of Rapening'. Also, your next play should have a little less rape in it."
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.