DiscardedYKTTW Infinite Shelf Life YKTTW Discussion
|Infinite Shelf Life|
When a product that in real life would spoil after a certain amount of time lasts forever.Needs Examples Description Needs Help
Mainly invoked in video games where foods would be curative items but even after weeks of in game item where it surely would have spoilt, the food is still fine and has no harmful side effects. The trope however does hold true to other items and in other mediums.
- This holds true for games that have Time Skips of weeks or years, like Red Dead Redemption.
- Averted by Harvest Moon which is a farm simulation game that has a freshness meter and a quality meter, both separate from each other.
- Invoked in the Fable series. It get ridiculous during time skips if you're holding an item called Crunchy Chick. It's still alive. Even if it hadn't died, it certainly would have grown during that time.
- In Skyrim where an apple or a cabbage can be left in your inventory for as long as you want and it won't even gain a single bit of mold.
- Ditto for all the games in the Fallout series and Oblivion.
- Averted by Dragon's Dogma where food is time sensitive. If the food rots, it will inflict harmful effects like poison.
- Averted by roguelikes like Nethack where rotting food is an important mechanic due to the possibility of starvation.