Sometimes, with Carnivore Confusion
, all animals
. Sometimes, only the evil characters eat meat; herbivores eat plants, and "good" carnivores go vegan or eat bugs
. Sometimes, carnivores eat meat, herbovores eat plants, and there's nothing anyone can do short of replacing their digestive system... but in the last case, one of the herbivores, a prey animal, might get upset... might get a little obsessive about the injustice... might "crack
" a little. Followed by the terrifying
) sight of a wildebeest trampling a lion to death and feasting on the corpse.
Anime and Manga
- In Tales of the Dark Forest, a half-crazy unicorn decides that if he eats the entire corpse of a human, he can gain human powers including a digestive tract that can handle meat. He's right, by coincidence.
- In The Wild, the wildebeest antagonist has decided to make himself the top of the food chain.
- In the "Just So" Story The Deer and the Panther Share a House, after Panther brings home the leftovers of a dead deer, Deer goes out and (with the help of an anteater) hunts down a panther for dinner.
- Traveller The New Era supplement Aliens of the Rim: Hivers and Ithklur. During a military campaign between the herbivorous K'Kree and the Ithklur, the fighting became so bitter that each side started performing atrocities on the other, including the K'Kree eating dead Ithklur bodies.
- Digger the wombat is forced to do this to become an honorary member of the Hyena tribe.
- Sort of happened in Kevin & Kell, where a dimensional traveler who was "furrified" into a rabbit on arrival maintained her omnivorous diet. This caused some shock to the local herbivores when she killed and ate a panther that attacked her.
- This shirt and the accompanying description is not about retribution or turnabout, but is worth noting.
- In the Simpsons episode Helter Skelter, the retirement home is watching a nature show about elderly animals. An elderly lion runs out of energy, whereupon the Zebra turns around and takes a bite out of it.
- The Simpsons also sometimes portray koalas as savage carnivores, often gnawing on bones during panning shots of a zoo.
- A Looney Tunes short in which Sylvester and Tweety are Snowed-In featured a mouse who hasn't eaten in so long he "forgot what food looks like." He takes one look at Sylvester and decides to have him for dinner.