Do We Have This One?? Needs a Better Title One way of beating something with tentacles, long stretchy limbs, or serpentine features is by tying it up with said features. Depending on the size, this may require physical tying or complex maneuvers.
Examples:Anime and Manga
- Dragonball Z has Goku face a giant snake called Princess Snake. He defeats the snake by flying around it until it ties itself into a knot trying to eat him.
- The Incredible Hulk has at least once defeated Mr. Fantastic of The Fantastic Four by tying him in knots.
- The animated film The Secret of Kells has the boy protagonist face off against a tentacle monster to retrieve another magifying crystal to replace the one his mentor lost years ago. Part of his tactics for defeating the thing invokes the trope as he evades the tentacles.
- When attacked by two snakes, the baby Hercules defeated them by tying them together.
- Looney Tunes short "The Great Piggy Bank Robbery". Duck Twacy (Daffy Duck) hunts down the gangsters (all inspired by Dick Tracy villains) who stole the piggy banks. One of them is Neon Noodle, a Frankenstein's Monster lookalike made of neon tubing. Twacy wrestles him and turns him into an "Eat at Joe's" sign.
- In the Silly Symphony short "Birds in the Spring", a bird escapes a snake by flying through a hollow log and letting the snake tie itself up on the knotholes.
- In The Jungle Book, Mowgli pushes Kaa's coils off a tree and he collapses on the ground in a tangled heap. As he crawls away, his tail ends up tied in a knot, which gets snagged and trips him up.
- In Robin Hood, Prince John punishes Sir Hiss by tying a knot on his throat, then later by tying him around a pole.
- Static Shock: one of the openings has Static using complex maneuvers against Rubberband Man to make him tie himself up.
- The Simpsons: in a Treehouse of Horror epsiode, Bart becomes a Rubber Man calling himself "Stretch Dude." At one point the Big Bad has SD and Clobber Girl (Lisa) suspended over a vat of boiling lucite, tied there with Stretch Dude's own arms.
- While the tentacle monster in Futurama's "Beast With A Billion Backs" was not defeated this way, this method or a similar one was used to delay Leela's capture to it.
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.