Fake Weakness YKTTW Discussion
- Whatever my one vulnerability is, I will fake a different one. For example, ordering all mirrors removed from the palace, screaming and flinching whenever someone accidentally holds up a mirror, etc. In the climax when the hero whips out a mirror and thrusts it at my face, my reaction will be 'Hmm...I think I need a shave.'
- Used in the musical version of Wicked, where a rumor is perpetuated that water will make Elphaba melt, and she uses it as a way to fake her death.
- Perhaps not the straightest example, but about halfway through Paper Mario, Bowser straight asks Peach about Mario's weaknesses. If Peach answers honestly, there will be several powerful enemies around the next game area, but if she tells Bowser that Mario is deathly afraid of healing items, he will take this at face value, and there will be several useful items scattered around the area instead.
- As quoted above, the Evil Overlord list condones this sort of action.
- Often used as a justification for Our Vampires Are Different and the like, because if you start debunking beliefs in fake weaknesses, they might start stumbling onto the real ones.