This trope is when an elite, invitation-only martial-arts tournament is held on a remote, possibly hidden island. The tournament may have some hidden purpose or agenda
, it may be to the death, it may be to identify the greatest fighter or fighters in the world, or it may be a perfectly legitimate athletic competition (this last one is rare).
- Enter the Dragon is certainly the Trope Maker; the plot revolves around this trope.
- Mortal Kombat, both the video game and the film that was based on it, also revolves around this trope.
- As does Dead or Alive, both the video game and the film
- Satirized by the Onion in this article about Donald Rumsfeld.
- In the Babylon 5 episode "TKO," a mixed-martial-arts tournament called the mutai is held aboard the station; since a space station is sort of like an artificial island, this would count as an example of this trope IN SPACE!.